Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 AM

Default dumbest. question. ever. (preflop raise amount)

what is the size of a standard preflop raise?
i'm currently playing PP NL $25 and using 4x the big blind, and it just doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

two example questions

UTG+1 KK
UTG folds, i raise to?

CO KK
3 limpers, rest fold, i raise to?

my apologies for such basic questions, but i'm doubting everything i've ever known about poker right now

thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: dumbest. question. ever. (preflop raise amount)

[ QUOTE ]
it just doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

[/ QUOTE ]

which job are you talking about?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:46 AM

what do you mean by getting the job done?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean by getting the job done?

[/ QUOTE ]

narrowing the field to headsup or 3way action

i know, if the field comes along when i raise preflop and have KK, its great for me, i just want to verify i'm charging them enough
Old 07-21-2005, 10:52 AM

the typical rule is 4xbb + 1 bb per limper.

however, you should relaly go with the rule, as much as they will call.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:55 AM

i usually raise $1.50 - $2.00 preflop at the $25 nl on party. it seems it takes a little more than 4Xbb to get heads up or 3-way pots.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:45 AM

In my opinion it doesnt really matter if you are raising 4BB, 3BB, 8BB, or whatever you please. The only thing that matter is to raise strongly with AA-QQ even 12xBB or more after 4+limpers. These are hands to make preflop money with.

Best wishes
Old 07-21-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion it doesnt really matter if you are raising 4BB, 3BB, 8BB, or whatever you please. The only thing that matter is to raise strongly with AA-QQ even 12xBB or more after 4+limpers. These are hands to make preflop money with.

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely with this. You should not raise any stronger with your better hands. You should be raising the same with all of your hands. Otherwise, people willl notice (even the fish at party will see you betting $2 with KK and $1.25 with ATs etc...).

The OP wants to narrow the field down. Well, as one of the above posters noted, use the 4xBB + 1BB per limper rule. This generally narrows down the field. Now, if no one folds, then just open for 5 or 6 x BB + 1 BB per limper. You should use this rule for no matter what hand you hold.

I love it when people raise small with marginal hands and big with good hands. It gaves away enough information that I know how to play almost perfectly.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely with this. You should not raise any stronger with your better hands. You should be raising the same with all of your hands. Otherwise, people willl notice (even the fish at party will see you betting $2 with KK and $1.25 with ATs etc...).

The OP wants to narrow the field down. Well, as one of the above posters noted, use the 4xBB + 1BB per limper rule. This generally narrows down the field. Now, if no one folds, then just open for 5 or 6 x BB + 1 BB per limper. You should use this rule for no matter what hand you hold.

I love it when people raise small with marginal hands and big with good hands. It gaves away enough information that I know how to play almost perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct in everything you said, except: "even the fish will notice [when you are only betting your big hands strongly]. They really don't. They may fold, but it will be because they don't hold any Ace or suited cards. They will not fold because they fear you hold a strong hand. You should be making fish pay large ammounts preflop if you can.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should not raise any stronger with your better hands. You should be raising the same with all of your hands. Otherwise, people willl notice (even the fish at party will see you betting $2 with KK and $1.25 with ATs etc...).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is not true, fish wont notice. By raising mildly with AA or KK you are leaving money on the table and this is important.
I play at 200NL I almost always raise 20$ or more with my AA (sometimes I even push) and Iam making small fortune with this strategy (slightly above 40$ per hand). If fish have 22+ AQ, AJ they will play no matter how much you raise.
All consideratins like : "raising always the same amount to be difficult to read", "dont raise too much because they wont call", "4xBB + no. of limpers" are simply plain wrong in small stakes.

Best wishes