Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 AM

Default The 5/10 rule with medium PP

Hello
I have a common scenario:
I call a raise preflop with say 7 7, according to the 5/10 rule. Then the flop comes 2 5 9, the preflopraiser makes his ½ pot C-bet. Now I fold the best hand to often. If I hit some kind of straight draw I might play back expecting the leverage from the straight cards to give me FE from at least AK/AQ. What are your thoughts about when to play back against the C-bet?
What reads do u look for?
What kind of flops do u play back at?

//Johan
Old 12-19-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: The 5/10 rule with medium PP

the answer is entirely read dependent. The continuation bet is not as prevelent as you make it seem. Rarely do I find a consistent continuation bettor. With this in mind you want to challange every Continuation bet they throw at you.

However your not going to be able to know which is a c bet and which is a value raise without wathcing the player and understanding his level of play.

It also has a lot to do with position and how many other players are in the pot. Not to mention pot size. Contesting every 2 dollar pot with raises and c/r is not a good idea.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the answer is entirely read dependent. The continuation bet is not as prevelent as you make it seem. Rarely do I find a consistent continuation bettor. With this in mind you want to challange every Continuation bet they throw at you.

However your not going to be able to know which is a c bet and which is a value raise without wathcing the player and understanding his level of play.

It also has a lot to do with position and how many other players are in the pot. Not to mention pot size. Contesting every 2 dollar pot with raises and c/r is not a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Assume HU. I mostly fold to the C-bet/value bet but have started to wonder if its to often. As u say its not my ideal spot to get very involved in a large pot with a small pair its kind of a way behind/coinflip situation so it is important with reads and maybe choose the size of the reraise to get max EV by FE. This is a tricky situation but very common.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:22 AM

on a 2 3 9 rainbow flop 77 is way ahead of AK. no where near a coinflip. That said, you should challange c-bets asoften as possible but you should not bulid huge pots with mid pp unimproved. raising a $2 c-bet in a $3 pot to $7 is throwing a lotof chips aroundforthe inital three bucks.

As you can see there is no easy answer to what you are asking. This is one of the areas that seperate the weak players from the reallygood ones (not to say im anywhere near really good). there is just so muc hthat goes into this area of thinking. These type of situations make the game one of skill. If there were an easy answer to these tough questiosn then every one would be a pro.