Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Mr. Cloutier has taught me nothing about gambling. Can you help out?

So I have been really trying to improve my tournament game. I have this problem where I play MTT online and get towards the end of the 2nd hour and beginning of the 3rd hour. I am just to low in chips. It seems like I am playing not to lose, but thats what I do a lot of the times. I finish outside of the money (albeit very close) most the times. The times I do get the money its very little. So I have analyzed my game and have come to the conclusion that I play too solid of a game. I just don't have that gamble.

Now I understand my relative chip stack to the size of the blinds, position, and all that other good stuff that you take into account when playing a tourney, but still don't have that gamble. I have been rereading some books I first started to read when I was new to poker (specificly Championship NL and PL Hold'em as well as Championship Hold'em tournament Hands) and have found that those books suggest playing a tighter more solid game. But thats not getting me anywhere.

So I am looking for your help. Can you kind of help define/describe what gambling is. I have some sort of idea and I hear authors/pros/everyone but me talk about it, but I just have no idea what it means really. Does that mean calling a lot of flops with marginal hands and trying to get lucky? Limping in a lot? What exactly is gambling. If you can kind of point me in the right direction I can learn the rest. I have a big tourney coming up on Saturday (200K Guarantee on PP) and want to win it. I am not worried about placing or bubbling or coming dead last. My goal is to win it and I need some of that "gamble" to do so. So please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Mr. Cloutier has taught me nothing about gambling. Can you help out?

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Cloutier has taught me nothing about gambling. Can you help out?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like craps?

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-14-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Mr. Cloutier has taught me nothing about gambling. Can you help ou

play tighter, meaning limit your preflop calling hands
and play more aggressively with these hands

you always want to define your hand, so make raises that will tell you where you stand with your hand

a good book is Harrington on hold 'em
for tournament play
Old 07-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Mr. Cloutier has taught me nothing about gambling. Can you help out?

[ QUOTE ]
You don't like craps?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM

Ya. I have been playing fairly tight and I do define my hands. But that only gets me so far. Usually that only gets me finishing outside of the money or just making the money and then busting out.

I am looking for the gamble definition. Its what all those pros have that take them so far. You know how they "gamble" to build up big chip stacks.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:09 PM

Push in on straight /flush draws. It works for me. Push in when you have a 12-15 outer
Old 07-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Throw out anything related to Tom Mcevoy. Read Harrington on Hold em volumes I and II. Read posts by some aggressive players around here (Woodguy, MLG, Sossman, etc). Check out this link to some old Raymer posts Raymer
Old 07-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Ya. The books Cloutier and McVoy wrote just are like a straight up "solid" poker tourney book. Haven't been happy with the results of playing that way.

What exactly does the Harrington book exemplify?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:20 PM

The magic bullet you're looking for doesn't exist.

Accumulating chips isn't so much about 'gamble' as it is finding opportunities to take chips from your opponents.

Not to sound critical, but you're stuck in level 1 thinking, you look at your cards and play your cards. then u look at the board, look at your cards, and decide how good your hand is and act accordingly.

You are at step 1 of a 12 step program towards good poker.

-Scott
Old 07-14-2005, 03:24 PM

Alrighty. Thats good to know that I am somewhere at least. So we have found my problem and how I am making that problem.

Is there a certain path we can take or I can be shown to start me towards step 2 there?