Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 PM

Default was this right

***** Hand History for Game 2149349690 *****
NL Hold'em Trny:12779274 Level:3 Blinds (15/30) - Friday, June 03, 17:52:12 EDT 2005
Table $350K Qualifier Freeroll 100 points(354581) Table #12 (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 5: bigfold1 ( $1790 )
Seat 6: PhilTMcNasty ( $930 )
Seat 7: purerealm ( $1610 )
Seat 8: cvrcek ( $870 )
Seat 10: racerem ( $2225 )
Seat 2: rainman_25 ( $845 )
Seat 3: fireproof101 ( $1585 )
Seat 4: UISATARD ( $2520 )
Seat 1: AVS_19 ( $1552 )
Seat 9: Sinistral ( $1760 )
Trny:12779274 Level:3
Blinds (15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to purerealm [ Kd Ad ]
rainman_25 calls [30].
fireproof101 calls [30].
UISATARD folds.
bigfold1 folds.
PhilTMcNasty folds.
purerealm raises [90].
cvrcek folds.
Sinistral folds.
racerem folds.
AVS_19 folds.
rainman_25 calls [60].
fireproof101 calls [60].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ac, 6d, Ts ]
rainman_25 bets [30].
fireproof101 raises [60].
purerealm raises [90].
rainman_25 calls [60].
fireproof101 calls [30].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kc ]
rainman_25 bets [30].
fireproof101 calls [30].
purerealm raises [700].
rainman_25 is all-In [635]
fireproof101 folds.
** Dealing River ** [ 4c ]
purerealm shows [ Kd, Ad ] two pairs, aces and kings.
rainman_25 shows [ Tc, Qc ] a flush, ace high.
purerealm wins 35 chips from side pot #1 with two pairs, aces and kings.
rainman_25 wins 1945 chips from the main pot with a flush, ace high.
XXXX
Old 06-03-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: was this right

Raise it up to $120-$150 PF. On the flop if you are going to re-raise make it much more then the minimum. Something like $300. The minimum raise accomplishes absolutely nothing with your hand.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:56 PM

1. Raise more preflop. With 2 limpers 3x the BB isn't going to cut it. I usually bump it one more BB for every limper, making it 150 here. I'd accept anyting from 120 to 200 really, depending on what you thought of the limpers, but 90 is just asking to play at *least* 3-handed (the odds are going to make it tempting to the blinds since the limpers figure to call) which you generally don't want to do with a hand that you figure is best preflop.

2. OK, so that's done with. Now you get a flop you like pretty well. A high, no flush draw, no open ended straight possibilities. 2 cards for a broadway straight, so 2 pair is possible, but a) you hold one of the aces and b) you can't really put anyone on something like that until they've given you a reason to do so. So you get a weird fishy min-bet and a weird fishy min-raise and you respond with...another weird fishy minraise? You get called by both people and learn not a damn thing, since they'd probably call you with any A or for that matter any pair (and they'd be correct to do so even if they knew what you were holding). You don't mind taking this pot down here. Make it, oh let's say 200-250. If someone comes back over the top, you'll have to make a read/guess (since 2-pair or a flopped set are possible), but it looks alot like you have the best hand (but still only 1 pair), so play it that way until someone gives you a reason to do otherwise.

3. You hit 2 pair and now respond to the fishy min-bet by massively overbetting the pot. What are you trying to accomplish. If these players are any good, you are probably only going to get called by better hands (i.e. a set of tens or sixes). *maybe* AT. Anyway, I wouldn't make it quite so much here. 300 perhaps. That's still not giving the flush draw odds to hit. If one of them pushes, understand, I'm probably calling, but I think I'll make more with a smaller bet here.

4. Of course, as it happens, one of your opponents is an idiot and makes a pretty substantially -EV call. You take a bad beat (probably an avoidable one, but that's neither here nor there). You owe me a dollar.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:55 PM

part of the reason why i did the things i did was because of the reads. those guys had been pretty active lately and i knew that i had established a tight image, i hadn't played many hands at all and often when i made a small raise many would fold. my reraising every street was an attempt to send the signal to back off but i guess i had to take pot odds more considerately
Old 06-03-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
part of the reason why i did the things i did was because of the reads. those guys had been pretty active lately and i knew that i had established a tight image, i hadn't played many hands at all and often when i made a small raise many would fold. my reraising every street was an attempt to send the signal to back off but i guess i had to take pot odds more considerately

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Fundamental Theory of Poker question really (if you don't know what that is, stop playing poker right now, go read Sklansky's Theory of Poker, and then come back; I'll wait).

Done? Good.

As I was saying, your raises were so small that your opponents were correct to call them even if they knew exactly what you were holding. The big call on the turn was, of course, pretty stupid, but you make money by getting other players to make mistakes, and up to that point they hadn't really made any because you hadn't forced them to.