Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Going Pro: The Other Side

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people don't even realize that a lot of these guys on tv are dead broke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most of the "guys on TV" who are broke aren't broke because they're bad poker players, they're usually broke because they can't stop playing dice/betting on sports/making bad investments with "friends."
Old 10-05-2005, 12:25 AM

Glad you posted... guess this means anyone trying to go pro better read this... you'll go broke.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad you posted... guess this means anyone trying to go pro better read this... you'll go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. I take it that you are...I'm not saying that everyone that decides to go pro will end up like my friend. As I stated in my post, this is a VERY rare situation. Most people are smart enough to realize, if they don't make it going pro, to return to either school, a job, or both.

Unfortunately my friend hasn't decided to do either. I am interested to see him (as I haven't in a very long time) but unfortunately it is going to be during visiting hours. I don't know what stance I'm/we're going to take with him, but we're definitely not going to post bail for him.

I've just seen way too many stories on this board about the bright side of poker and going pro that I figured I'd share my friend's experience. Because not everyone makes it.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: ??????

Your post reads as smug, smarmy, unctuous and self-important. I can't believe no one has mentioned that yet.

You should post bail, you deserve it.

Good DAYSIR!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just seen way too many stories on this board about the bright side of poker and going pro that I figured I'd share my friend's experience. Because not everyone makes it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, it's not a matter of "going pro." It's a matter of addiction.

You should try to understand this, so you can better help your friend.

http://www.naspl.org/compgamb.html

The sections "Are there phases to pathological gambling?" and "How can I tell if someone is a problem gambler?" are clearly answered in your story.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post reads as smug, smarmy, unctuous and self-important. I can't believe no one has mentioned that yet.

Good DAYSIR!

[/ QUOTE ]

??
Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 AM

You don't mention what his bond is. If it's $2k I'd throw it and tell him that's the last time.

I personally would make him live at my house (you sleep in the camper, son) and go to work with me every day to pay me back. I'm a contractor so I can always use an extra set of hands for labor. Not everyone can do this, obviously.

If he does manage to reform, he'll have $2k (the bail money) to get on his feet after he gets out of prison. Should he choose to donk it up at the local 15/30 game there's really nothing I can do about it.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Good DAYSIR!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. Also, you obviously don't know what unctuous means. Get a dictionary and a clue. His post was thoughtful and well-intentioned. Yours sounds like sour grapes.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good DAYSIR!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. Also, you obviously don't know what unctuous means. Get a dictionary and a clue. His post was thoughtful and well-intentioned. Yours sounds like sour grapes.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, lets review....

"Do a search for the last name "Kim" first name "Edwin"."
--nice, give a guys full name and what jail you can find him in. That's what friends are for, right?

"I paid for his entire weekend at a cost of $200. That night when we get back to Seattle, he tries to play me heads up for the money he owes me. This is when I realize what a bad player he actually is (going all in many times on inside straight draws, or just with Ace high), and also how degenerate of a gambler he has become. "

-wow what a great, great friend....

"The only reason I'm posting this now, is because after another 10 months he is calling me again. "

-great friend indeed

"I know, petty crimes, but he was never "connected" to do other criminal-money making activities, so I think this is the best he came up with.

As for me, I graduated last year, played poker part time the whole way through (and still do today) and now use poker to supplement my income."

-this is the equivalent of stepping on your "friends" neck while showing everyone your big muscles at the same time. You call him an idiot and yourself a genius in one fell swoop. Well done.

So, there you go.

Unctuous: Having the quality or characteristics of oil or ointment; slippery.

And I don't get the 'sour grapes' tie-in. Why would I be sour because he pats his own back the entire post while ridiculing his 'friend' at the same time?

Maybe he should go SEE his 'friend' in jail. Oh right, they haven't spoken in a year now.

Maybe a Christmas card will be more appropriate....
Old 10-05-2005, 01:49 PM

I can imagine that guy's thought process.

WOW LOOK! Im up $2,000 today! At this rate, ill be making nearly a seven figure income!

It's a shame that he's in the gutter, but this is entirely because of his own stupidity and lack of self control. If someone goes "pro" as a medical doctor because they had a 100% success rate in applying a bandage to a knee scrape, would you blame their impending failure on the medical profession? Short term success in poker is probably easier relative to being a succuessful pro than applying a bandage is relative to being a medical doctor. Even a blindfolded monkey could win at poker over a single session if he was given buttons that corresponded to each action.