Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default How Much Would I Have To Make?

I don't think this question is within the scope of this forum, but it is probably the most important question I'll ever post on 2+2, so I'm putting it here. I'd really appreciate any advice, as I know a lot of you are very knowledgeable about this stuff.

I am 21 and a senior at Columbia University in NYC. I am an "Engineering and Management Systems" major, which is under INdustrial Engineering and Operations Research. I have a 3.04 GPA including some ugly grades, I have some work experience but not great. I'm interested in consulting or marketing, and I think I'd be good at it. I'm not very confident so I probably won't interview particularly well. I live in Manhattan and I plan on staying here. I have a girlfriend who I'll probably be marrying within the next 2-3 years, who supports me in anything I do, so poker won't cause a problem.

My dad is a very successful entrepreneur of a now-public company who I have endless amounts of respect for, so he obviously is not thrilled with the whole poker thing, though he does like to gamble in Vegas. So he's not opposed to it as an activity. my parents paid my tuition. I didn't get along with him until about a year or two ago, and I think my relationship with him would be very shaky if I didn't get a job, or continue my education, after college.

I don't have many options but here they are:
- I can try to get my master's in operations research or financial engineering here, which would be very good for consulting and finance, respectively. I don't know that I'd get accepted. I'd give myself about a 20% chance. it is a one year program
- I can take whatever job offers (if any) I get. I don't know what kind of job I'd get but I'd assume it would be at a smaller firm. I think I'm way underqualified for a top consulting firm, though I don't know that for sure.

which leads me to the question that is in the title of the post. If I play poker professionally and set myself back at least one year of work experience and have to explain on interviews in the future that either I gambled since I graduated or disappeared, possibly damage my relationship with my parents, look bad to my girlfriend's family, how much money would I have to make a year for it to be worth it?

I know this is a loaded question but I tried to provide as much information about myself as possible. obviously there is no way of giving me the actual number, but I'd like to see peoples' estimates. obviously I'd also like to hear reasoning for it.

also, if I do play poker, how could I cover it up or make it look like I did something for when I do need to get a job? should I travel around Europe for a while and play or move somewhere? should I get an internship or a part-time job at a company that I'd be interested in working for?

if there is any other information I can provide to help answer, please ask. any advice would be much appreciated. this is something that has been bothering me and I can't stop thinking about it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Re: How Much Would I Have To Make?

you should be more concerned with what you want, not what others want for you.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:40 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, what I do will affect how other people treat/view/relate with me, which will affect my future happiness. if I had to choose, I'd probably play poker. but that's counterproductive for me. I have worked hard to not be as lazy as I am, and it hasn't worked at all. if I sit at home all day, I suspect it'll get even worse. so it's not about what I want. it's about what decision will leave me happier in 10 years
Old 09-19-2005, 02:41 AM

If your goal is eventually to get a job, then get a job. If it's not, then don't worry about it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 AM

Take the job. There are enough hours in the week that you'll still be able to play plenty of poker. You might be surpised and find that you really enjoy the job and are glad you took it. It not, you can quit after a year or whatever, but at least give it try and see how it works.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your goal is eventually to get a job, then get a job. If it's not, then don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

online poker will not be around forever. the games will get tougher, the laws might get tighter, and the bots will get better, rakeback might be taken away, the rake could keep going up, etc. as it is, Party just pared off about $70/hr of my earn with the rake hike. I don't think it's something I can rely on beyond the next 2 years, and even that might be a stretch.

I can't imagine I'll make enough that I can invest it and not have to work (though I'd probably want to work)
Old 09-19-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the job. There are enough hours in the week that you'll still be able to play plenty of poker. You might be surpised and find that you really enjoy the job and are glad you took it. It not, you can quit after a year or whatever, but at least give it try and see how it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely there is a dollar value on this, no? if I could make a million in a year there wouldn't even be a discussion would there be?

also, consultants work pretty long hours from what I've heard. I think it'll be 50-60 hours a week, closer to 60 I think. as it is I barely play. there would be a significant difference between the amount of poker I play with and without a job (probably 25 hours a week vs 5-7 hours a week)
Old 09-19-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, what I do will affect how other people treat/view/relate with me, which will affect my future happiness. if I had to choose, I'd probably play poker. but that's counterproductive for me. I have worked hard to not be as lazy as I am, and it hasn't worked at all. if I sit at home all day, I suspect it'll get even worse. so it's not about what I want. it's about what decision will leave me happier in 10 years

[/ QUOTE ]

you want to be happy right? then isnt it about what you want? your friends and family will die, and (relativley) soon you will be forgoten. so what does it matter? do what will make you happy. Planning for the future is important, but 10 years? just live life man.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is sound advice. on a side note, there will ALWAYS be a good game.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 21

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have sworn you were like 26-29 years old, among other things in this post that I wouldn't have believed about you unless you wrote them.