Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Results plus question for anatta and cpk

Perhaps you can argue that the extra dead money calls for a reduction of standards. I think you still have to think in terms of kicker domination, though--A8s is just statistically too weak to isolate open-raisers with, especially if you don't know them to be loose raisers.

Under normal circumstances, I would probably call with A9s and three-bet with AQs. You don't really want to blast people out with a big suited ace--this is a hand that wants to invite people into the pot. But the raise with AQs/AKs is also a raise for value.

As played, I argue as well for a bet for value on the river. I mean, you don't know that anyone is extremely weak-tight yet.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:59 AM

Upon reflection, I think my post was wrong for two reasons. I was giving the raiser credit for a stronger hand than is warranted. Since I am less likely to raise when there is a late position post, I thought a player would be less likely to raise an EP post without a strong hand. Here the post was by an earlier position opponent. It is probably good poker for your opponent to raise in LP with small poket pairs, KQ, KJ and even QJ. Therefore, it makes sense for you to three bet with postion. I still wouldn't do it without As9s, but I just moved up to the middle limits last month, and I am playing tighter than most here for the simple reason that my post-flop skills are improving rapidly, but still quite rudimentary.

It also appears that I am probably too passive. On the river, everybody is saying its a clear bet. I would be thinking, I hate my kicker what are they betting and calling with. But once checked to on the river, I now see a bet is in order.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:41 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the re-stealing strategy before the flop - it's good. Everything's good on the flop. Bet, call, call. The turn is where I would pop to eliminate the SB, in case SB has ACE 10. It is unlikely that the four better has pocket aces. You can probably eliminate this guy here too. Since you are going to pay him off on the river anyway, why not raise it to protect your hand and get the money in the pot in advance. A check on the river is okay after a raise on the turn. But you definately missing a bet.