Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2004, 12:20 AM

Default KK heads up: Routine?

$5/$10, 6-max. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB.

EMP player limps. CO, unknown but apparently aggressive, raises. I 3-bet, limper mucks, he caps and I call. There are 9.5 SB in the pot.

Flop comes Axx rainbow. I bet out, he raises...

Assuming that he bets, and I call down the rest of the way, the pot will be 10.75 BB. It will cost me 2.5 BB to play the rest of the way through. So, if my math is correct, I'll need to win about 30% of the time to justify the calldown.

See this one through to the river, right?

Old 01-21-2004, 01:04 AM

Default Re: KK heads up: Routine?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop comes Axx rainbow. I bet out

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:34 AM

Why?

Instinct, I suppose.

I can see how it would make sense to immediately default into check-call mode if I decide I'm going to see a showdown anyway.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:16 AM

Betting actually costs you money. He has to bet because he capped. He will bet QQ-TT or whatever he would cap with as much as he will bet AK. Also, you don't want him to fold a pair smaller than your's, so betting really stinks. Also, he doesn't have the opportunity to put a move on you now. Check-call all the way baby!
-James
Old 01-21-2004, 02:27 AM

KK when an ace flops. Tough situation. I'll answer your post with a hand of my own from tonight. 25/50 5 max. I'm heads-up with an aggressive opponent after we cap it preflop. The guy's aggressive but he's not stupid. He has position on me.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he calls.

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet, he raises, I think, and fold. I put a lot of money into the pot, but I didn't want to put in another 100 to see A-x.

I say to him, "AJ?". He says "KJ clubs". I believe him. I told him that I think he played the hand very well, and I meant it.

What's my point? I guess I have 2 points. One is: that's not how to play KK headsup when an ace flops. The other: getting money-saving 'information' can cost a lot of money.

Regards,
all_aces
Old 01-21-2004, 02:44 AM

I think check-call, check-call, bet or check-call all the way are both fine, depending how aggressive he is.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:59 PM

You put in 2.5 BB's to fold. That's how much it would cost to just call it down.