Default Re: advice needed for a player moving from .50/1 to 1/2 and struggling

[ QUOTE ]
how many hands did he play at 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure exactly but i think at least 15,000
Old 12-25-2005, 11:38 PM

yeah less tables is prolly a good idea.

i'm confused about the math...he went up 100, down 150, and is now down 250 total?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:40 PM

-50 bets over 15k hands is only -.33BB/100, he could just be running cold
Old 12-25-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-50 bets over 15k hands is only -.33BB/100, he could just be running cold

[/ QUOTE ]

he went down 250 big bets total which, since he's at 1/2 is 250 dollars. and as we both know, a negative 250 big bet swing is not terribly common and probably means he isn't playing optimally.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i'm confused about the math...he went up 100, down 150, and is now down 250 total?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is down TO 250. That's what I think anyways. What site does he play? Does he understand table selection? I sujest playing less tables at a time but sticking to 1/2
Old 12-25-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is down TO 250. That's what I think anyways. What site does he play? Does he understand table selection? I sujest playing less tables at a time but sticking to 1/2

[/ QUOTE ]

he's down 250 big bets ( 500 dollars ). he currently plays on betonbet ( pokerroom skin with rakeback ). he was playing on party for a while but quit in favor of rakeback on betonbet. he's also not playing with a PA hud or anything which i think is a mistake. in my opinion playing without a hud is always a mistake since one is so valuable at any limit.

also i was somewhat of the opinion that table selection was not terribly important at limits as low as .50/1 and 1/2. i'm sure that it is far less important than it is at 10/20 but i'd be interested to know if you all feel that it is very important at smaller stakes too.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's down 250 big bets ( 500 dollars ). he currently plays on betonbet ( pokerroom skin with rakeback ). he was playing on party for a while but quit in favor of rakeback on betonbet. he's also not playing with a PA hud or anything which i think is a mistake. in my opinion playing without a hud is always a mistake since one is so valuable at any limit.

also i was somewhat of the opinion that table selection was not terribly important at limits as low as .50/1 and 1/2. i'm sure that it is far less important than it is at 10/20 but i'd be interested to know if you all feel that it is very important at smaller stakes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started limit. I was down 150 BB at one point (1/2 level). I started to focus on table selection and better pf play (mainly wasnt raising enough hands in the right positions) and am now up 50BB over all. I havn't had a losing session in a while. The 1/2 level isnt all that hard and there might just be one leak he has.

I think pokertracker really helps at any level and recommend he uses it.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:25 AM

yeah he uses poker tracker but just to evaluate his play afterwards. i definetly wasn't a good player by any means when i was at 1/2 and so i'm kind of unsure of the advice i should give him since i didn't really begin to understand poker completely until i was at 3/6 for a while. even then i don't think my understanding became real complete until i was at 5/10 for a while. basically i'm kind of torn between telling him to just play at a level he's comfortable with and trying to encourage him to advance limits.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:35 AM

What are his goals? Is he moving up for any other reason than you nagging him? If he is comfortable at .5/1 and is making enough money at it to make it worth while for him he doesn't need to move up. Penis size and the limits you play at are rarely linked.

Table selection is important at every limit. There are tight tables and loose tables and finding the table that matches your play is always important.

Have you shown him Poker Ace in action to let him see what he is missing? I think if he saw it in action he would be more likely to get it.