Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Limp-folding

[ QUOTE ]
If it's tighter (2-4 players), raising AJ is probably a mistake (IIRC, SSHE recommends that you call, not raise). The reason is that in such games, raises discourage action, but calls encourage it. Limping increases the chance people will play even more than folding!

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game is tight aggressive, I think it's safe to throw AJo away up front.

If the table is weak-tight, limping isn't going to get too much action in the first place. Besides the fact that open-limping is generally pretty weak, I would rather encourage less action w/ AJo.

The reason? Well, if the table really respects UTG raises, then you might win the blinds right then and there. Secondly, AJo is the archtypical TP hand. TP hands tend to prefer less people in the pot to hold up (sometimes UI).

I do see merit in limping with AJo utg if you know that you'll just get a bunch of cold callers. But this is really a personal preference than anything. I think raising is still better as these players in this case will see any flop with what they consider "okay" hands; you should get your money in when you have the equity.

Of course, pf play can have some personal preferences and variation.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the table is weak-tight, limping isn't going to get too much action in the first place. Besides the fact that open-limping is generally pretty weak, I would rather encourage less action w/ AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have observed lots of SS games that are "tight" in terms of raw averages, but they open up to 4+ handed when 2 people limp. Your games may be different, but this is what I've observed in 5 years of playing both live and online.

As for whether AJ can handle the action--I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think it handles volume just fine and actually prefers it. What I don't want to see is people screaming "always raise AJ", because it isn't that simple.

And, finally, you're right, it ultimately is probably less than a nickel of BB/100 whether you limp or raise.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have observed lots of SS games that are "tight" in terms of raw averages, but they open up to 4+ handed when 2 people limp. Your games may be different, but this is what I've observed in 5 years of playing both live and online.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have more experience than me as I've only played online since last March (not a single hand live other than the rare homegame). But I see your point.

It seems hard to give something 100% conclusive, but I wonder what a statistics simulation would yield in this case.

[ QUOTE ]
And, finally, you're right, it ultimately is probably less than a nickel of BB/100 whether you limp or raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess being stuck on pf too much is not very fruitful... I suppose just to stick to whatever pf strat that works for you.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:04 PM

this is almost as good as my patented complete sb/fold to bb raise

seriously though, with those stats I don't think a fold here is terrible. then again even if you're behind here a rock is pretty easy to outplay postflop.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 PM

I dont mind the fold
AJs goes any time, anywhere, against anyone
Old 11-17-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually fold AJo UTG at a full table, am I playing too tightly?

Plus, I may even fold AQo UTG. But always raise when I decide to play either.

Will call 1 bet if raised tho'

[/ QUOTE ]

I went through a period of experimentation where I folded AJo in EP. I think it turned out to be the wrong thing. It's close, but you're definitely giving something away. In any case, it's not enough to compromise your bottom line.

I already went through the case for limping with it in EP. If you choose to raise, instead, you're probably not making a large mistake, but I don't think raising is optimal except in the sorts of games you typically find only at the cardroom these days. . . .
Old 11-18-2005, 05:01 AM

Thanks cpk, great posts.

I usually just limp with AJ under the gun, because i want people to play dominated hands (A7, J9). Of course, if they are so loose that they cold call with these hands any way, you should raise.

The situation I described in my first post is probably the only one where limp-folding (for one bet) may be considered. It seems that it's close and you should take the flop though.