Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Do you think I owe this guy money?

Alright, I'm posting this here because I don't think the person in question reads here. I've got an issue that I'd like advice on.

A little over a week or so ago, some guy came onto another message board I frequent, and wanted to play in our NLHE tourney on Pokerstars. Of course, you guessed it, he needed a transfer.

I'm a nice guy, he transfers $50 to my party account, I help him out with $50 on Stars.

A week later, I try cash out my winnings from reload time at Party, total cashout up over $1100. I get a call two days later telling me that they are withholding the money that was transferred to me because of possible "fraudulent activity in his account." So, basically, homeboy took my $50, blew it, and then the $50 he gave me got taken away because of his "fraudulent activities."

I told the guy that the money was taken away and he told me he would look into it. He was obviously doing something wrong, because Party asked him to send some identifying documents and he refused. In his correspondence with me, he told me he was "giving up" his account. Why would any honest person do that?

Anyway, he promised to work to pay me back. If he couldn't get the money from Party he would, "most likely" make a deposit and pay me that way. Most likely? Anway......

in the meantime he gets some money on Stars and he's bragging about SNG finishes, etc. I'm hounding him for my cash, etc. He's replying with crap like, "I told you when I got $50 I'd pay you, I've only got $46 LOL" and bullshit like that.

So, after a week or so of this, I decide to take matters into my own hands. I called Party, we had a very in depth phone call and I voiced my displeasure that I was having my money withheld (I'm a good customer routine). Well they finally told me to "settle it offline." My final strong arm tactic was this: "Are you telling me that $50 is worth more to you than my business? If that's what you're telling me, say yes, we hang up, and I never play on Party again." I'm put on hold again, and they finally come back telling me that they've credited the account with Party money and that the original transfer was going back to whatshisface's fraudulent account.

Then I get home later, and I find out my scammer has in fact made good and paid me in Poker Stars. I told him that Party comped me and he demanded that I pay him back.

I told him to stick it because Party paid me with their money, not his. Remember, you've been playing all week on my money. I gave you $50, you gave me $50, we're square. If you want your $50 back, resolve it with Party and get it back.

Remember, I had to deal with his antics for a week, I had to sit through a grueling conversation with Party for 30 minutes (if you've ever called the investigations team, you know I'm not exaggerating).

Does anyone think that morally, I should give this cat back his $50 or should I take the $50 for my troubles and the lesson I had to learn about not transferring to ANYONE?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Do you think I owe this guy money?

Anyone else find this confusing and not care?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:14 PM

Me, but I would say no
Old 04-27-2005, 03:34 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

you owe him nothing
Old 04-27-2005, 03:35 PM

The 'correct' thing to do would be to keep his money but pay Party back their money....
Old 04-27-2005, 03:37 PM

You owe him nothing.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:39 PM

as dumb as this might sound, i'd give party their $50 back before i'd give him back a dime. he owed you $50. he repayed the $50. end of story as to him. as for party, i might feel a little bad keeping their $50 after getting paid by him, but then again they're a bunch of tools and they make $50 in about half a second of rake on the site, so probably no big deal. bottom line: you and him are square...whether you feel you owe party anything or not is another story.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Lemme get this straight:

You -> Minor Scumbag $50
Party -> You $50
Minor Scumbag -> You $50

Cancel out the dealings with the minor scumbag, and it looks like you owe Party the $50, not the minor scumbag. Of course, it may be a little difficult to give back, you may just want to donate to a charity or something.

No way in hell you should give another $50 to the Minor Scumbag, however.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think I owe Party Poker money?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 04-27-2005, 03:58 PM

If you don't give Party back that $50, they'll hit the suckout switch on you. After the 10th 1-outer river beat, you'll wish you had.

Seriously though, they acted in good faith in giving you that $50, it would be a +KV (karma value) play to give it back to them, even if they wipe their asses with $50.