Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 08:17 PM

Default K9s flops top pair from BB

MP is 80/6/1.3
CO is 30/20/1 over 55 hands

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls

Flop: (6.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero...

Preflop ok?

On the flop, I feel like putting CO on a big PP would be a little drastic, and MP's range is pretty wide at this point. I know we're ahead here a pretty good % of the time, but so many cards can hurt us on the turn. So what line are we taking from here out?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: K9s flops top pair from BB

There's a straight draw, a flush draw, a preflop raiser, a flop donk bettor, you're out of position, and your top pair doesn't even have broadway status. This is a perfect example of horrible reverse implied odds. Let it go.

Lead the flop and maybe the hand plays differently.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:39 PM

Can CO raise overcards or unimproved hands? This is the key. He has a bit of a raising range, I think I 3-bet here and push the MP out, and see a showdown.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 PM

This c/r is good to force out MP. If MP drops, I think we can lead the turn. If MP calls, he may be on the draw, and if he caps, then it's probably c/f the turn UI.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a straight draw, a flush draw, a preflop raiser, a flop donk bettor, you're out of position, and your top pair doesn't even have broadway status. This is a perfect example of horrible reverse implied odds. Let it go.

Lead the flop and maybe the hand plays differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a pretty good spot to check/raise to me.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:47 PM

I like the check with the intent to check-raise. In this case, I think I follow through with the plan and check-3-bet him. Get rid of MP (hopefully) and play the rest of the hand heads up. If capped, you've got some serious thinking to do, but most of the time I expect him to have overcards and will slow down.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 PM

I think just betting out lets CO get away from a whiffed flop too easily. I think we need to let him throw away another bet yes?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think just betting out lets CO get away from a whiffed flop too easily. I think we need to let him throw away another bet yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wasn't thinking that leading would be better since it would be nice to c/r the pfr's continuation bet. I was more thinking out loud. I'll try not to do that anymore [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 PM

Why do (many of) you guys want to throw 3 more SBs into this pot on the flop with the hope of driving out MP with your weak and vulnerable made hand?

People with MP's stats tend to stick around for a while with any piece of the board, including longshot draws and overcards. People with CO's stats (AF=1) have something more often than not when they raise preflop and the flop. Change the 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and you have a case, but as it stands, I think you're just trying to muscle out two opponents with a hand that will lose money ITLR. You really don't want to get tied to this pot because you jammed it early on with a so-so hand.

3 words: reverse implied odds