Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Weird line from psycho villain

Villain is 50/25/4 maniac. I don't have a great handle on his postflop play. What the heck do you think this means and what is your move? FWIW, he seems like a bit of a calling station postflop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($446.10)
BB ($487.90)
UTG ($1201.30)
MP ($396)
CO ($374.35)
TWP ($442)

Preflop: TWP is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises to $15</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $11, MP folds.

Flop: ($36) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">TWP bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $90</font>, TWP calls $65.

Turn: ($216) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, TWP ....?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Weird line from psycho villain

i thought you were getting rid of these hands? (seriously)

Bet the turn, I dont care what it means (his funky c/r -&gt; check) you have 330 behind and you need to get some in now so you can get the rest in later.

Edit: Wow, way for me to misread the flop. I thought you flopped a DBB. (like if board was T=9) as is your flop call was bad.

Yeah, freebie is good, letting him have the pot on the flop is better
Old 10-18-2005, 04:30 PM

It means he tried to steal it from you with a c/r that didn't work, or he's waiting to c/r you again on the turn. Either way, take a free card. And fold to the flop c/r.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:30 PM

. . . . takes the free card he bought with his flop bet
Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought you were getting rid of these hands? (seriously)

Bet the turn, I dont care what it means (his funky c/r -&gt; check) you have 330 behind and you need to get some in now so you can get the rest in later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Building the pot in case you hit your double gutter on the river?

This all confuses me very much. I don't see why you called the flop raise either, TWP? You only have a single gutter there.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Edit: Ok I read Bobbo's edit. I feel way way better now. I thought that my brain just [censored] itself or something.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM

If he's a calling station he has a 10 here. I don't think he is going to fold to a turn bet. I'd probably check behind and pray to spike a 9 or a 4 and pray that he doesn't have a jack if the 9 falls.

This is probably a stylistic difference between you and I, but after a limper i'm probably just limping as well and trying to hit a good hand cheaply. The problem with the raise is the exact situation you are in now...you have bad cards, no real hand on the flop and your continuation bet got raised when nothing large fell and they assume you are on missed high cards, but your hand isn't even that good...you are on missed low cards.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 PM

post edited, I do this a little too much (What do I do? Give OP's credit for not calling 3/4 pot c/r with gutshots and 6high. Oops!)
Old 10-18-2005, 04:35 PM

lol.

what happened to not bluffing?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:35 PM

I think an argument can definately be made for betting around 1/2 the pot here, but I take the free card. I like the check here because if you hit an out, there is a good chance that he'll bet right into you. Also the general idea of bluffing into a maniac scares me. I could be way off though...
Old 10-18-2005, 04:39 PM

OK, all joking aside, I think my flop call is highly questionable. However, I thought that he might be on air and I was seriously considering pushing if he made a turn bet. He is totally psycho, it is heads up, I have at least a few outs, etc. However, once he checked the turn and I picked up 4 more outs, I wasn't sure whether that meant I was right that he was on air or whether it meant that he was looking to c/r again. Some villains go for that sort of thing. So, feel free to comment on preflop (MP was very loose preflop but very tight on flop, that's why I raised his limp - free money) or flop but please make sure to say whether you think villain is more likely weak or strong when he checks the turn. I basically considered half pot, all in, and checking. Seems like most people like a check....