Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Where Is This Player\'s Money Going?

I've run up against this sort of player before. I am currently thinking of a specific player in a limit hold em game who plays well after the flop and is capable at setting traps if he flops good, but who never raises or reraises before the flop, but I have run into similar type players at no limit. I have seen this player cold-call a preflop raise with aces, but his calling standards seem fairly reasonable for the pot odds his calls are getting (except that he calls with hands he should reraise with). It is almost as if he has been rivered badly so many times that his mentality is that he should wait and see before putting in more money. Basically, we have tight-passive preflop and somewhat tight-aggressive and capable of bluffing after the flop (but still making some clear mistakes).

Unless this player has hit upon some new strategy whose mathematic foundations are clearly beyond me, this player is not maximizing his profits from his good hands. If a dollar saved is a dollar earned in poker, then a dollar not won is a dollar lost. If he is losing money, the other players at the table are the beneficiaries. Is there anyway I can increase my share of this money, or is it just a given that the primary beneficiaries are looser players who are able to see more flops with worse hands without being charged big for it and I only benefit indirectly by more money being left in the hands of players who are poorer post-flop?