Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 08:10 PM

Default limp or raise with JJ

I have read, I think it was in HPFAP, that given JJ, you want to raise against a tight table and call against a loose one. The idea is that you want either allot of oponents and you are looking for a set, or very few oponents and winning unimproved. The worst case being if you have about 4 people in the hand, which is likely to happen if you raise a loose table or call a tight table.

So I leave it up to the infinite wisdom of 2+2'ers,
When should I be limping and when should I be raising with my fishooks? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 08:42 PM

Default Re: limp or raise with JJ

I raise (but not necessarily re-raise) with JJ 100% of the time.

KJS
Old 09-24-2002, 09:36 PM

When you raise with JJ, what you are hoping to do is get junk hands that hold a single A, K, or Q (things like A9s or KT) to fold, so that when the flop comes with an A, K, or Q (about 1/2 the time) you are still in the running to have the best hand. If your raise is unlikely to help get most of the table to fold, then why raise? But now you are getting the odds you need to try to flop a set. If you are against 4+ opponents play for a cheap flop.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:10 PM

When you raise with JJ, what you are hoping to do is get junk hands that hold a single A, K, or Q (things like A9s or KT) to fold

When I raise with JJ, I'm hoping that A9s and KT call with their weaker hands. You only run into problems when one person calls with A9s, another calls with KT, and a third calls with Qx.

If your raise is unlikely to help get most of the table to fold, then why raise?

For the best of all the reasons why you raise- because you have the best hand

Old 09-25-2002, 02:03 AM

Default Hello,Players! I agree with...

Gino's analysis.

Happy pokering
Sitting Bull
Old 09-26-2002, 01:06 PM

Default Raise it up!

If you can trap in more than two limpers I think you need to raise. You have greater than a one in three shot at the flop coming in ten high or less. In adition, some of the time an overcard comes you will have a set, or some 4-straight possibilities.

The people who hang around with an overcard or overcards may be getting pot odds at this point, but the bets that go in post flop are very much in your favor. I'll go even money with anyone that they wont pair two cards with two shots.