Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke and Paul Phillips

If you think Annie Duke got a hard time you should have seen the chat at VC in the lobby when Doyle Brunson came into the chat to answer questions.

Its the internet it is full of haters I am sure most people would say nothing in real life but would probably be bragging to thier buddies who they had met.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:51 AM

Michael, I was thinking the exact same thing recently.

Here's an exchange I see myself having with someone in the future with someone:

Me: Ya, I read the 2+2 poker forums quite often.
Someone:Oh ya, do any poker celebrities post on there.
Me:Sure, Greenstein, Annie Duke, Paul Phillips, Greg Raymer..
Someone: Really? That sounds cool. What do they have to say.
Me: Well Raymer I know used to give a lot of sound strategy advice, but I'm not sure if he still does. Greensteins not around too often, and Annie Duke comes around and chats about tourney's she's played in and stuff. Annie's pretty cool, cause when she first came here, she took a lot of crap about stuff Daniel N. said about her. But,Annie weathered the storm like a champ and now I think most people REALLY like having her around. I think she feels pretty welcome and stuff.

Someone: What about Paul Phillips?

Me: Yuck. He says he really isn't interested in talking strategy at all. He likes to get into verbal sparring sessions over minute logical details. Its really petty and makes it seem as if he never grew up. You know, I think that's what it is... He never had to grow. He earned a lot of money at a young age, and it seems he thinks his **** doesn't stink. Oh well. Funny thing is, someone challenged him to a game of Scrabble, and he backed down. The reason why its comical is cause Paul was talking about how he'd mop the floor with that person. He made up a bunch of excuses about how he thought the other person would cheat. Then, he went on to belittle the woman's intelligence.. It was really wierd. When Paul came on here, everyone was psyched to have him here... Now, I think a lot of us would wish he goes away.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:04 PM

if you dont like his posts dont read them. there are plenty of people who think he is smart and funny
Old 10-03-2004, 12:52 PM

If imparting poker knowledge with an overhealthy dose of ego qualifies one for the 2+2 death penalty, I wonder who is going to break the news to Sklansky.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Someone: What about Paul Phillips?

Me: Yuck. He says he really isn't interested in talking strategy at all. He likes to get into verbal sparring sessions over minute logical details. Its really petty and makes it seem as if he never grew up. You know, I think that's what it is... He never had to grow. He earned a lot of money at a young age, and it seems he thinks his **** doesn't stink. Oh well. Funny thing is, someone challenged him to a game of Scrabble, and he backed down. The reason why its comical is cause Paul was talking about how he'd mop the floor with that person. He made up a bunch of excuses about how he thought the other person would cheat. Then, he went on to belittle the woman's intelligence.. It was really wierd. When Paul came on here, everyone was psyched to have him here... Now, I think a lot of us would wish he goes away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed at how the actual facts (which are right there, waiting for anyone to read) can get twisted around by those with agendas of the aforementioned bend towards random insults and innuendo vs. anything substantial and applicable. NOW we're going to make fun of the guy because he's not only a pro poker player on TV but also because he was fortunate enough to make a lot of money...? Can we find anything else petty to be jealous about?

Or perhaps we'll just let envy and lies become the good story to take the place of the actual truth.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 10-03-2004, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder who is going to break the news to Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]
I nominate Annie Duke.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:06 PM

you need to pay a bit closer attention when you read some of these threads... there is some interesting stuff to be gained from them, and if the most important thing you are taking from them is that Paul is a dick, you are missing something...
Old 10-03-2004, 01:08 PM

Please stick around Paul, the boards here are too short of witty intelligent responses as it is now. I suspect you will since all the crap you get here still won't compare to RGP.

Besides anyone willing to take Chris Brown to task is OK in my book.

Jimbo
Old 10-03-2004, 01:09 PM

The hard part is in figuring out what we have to write to get her back!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:25 PM

Default WOW

We really are becoming more like RGP

Way to go, guys.