Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: HUGE downswing

[ QUOTE ]
50-100NL games,30$SnG's whichever I could find a good game(which I apparently am not good at) I play good cards, but mix it up with suited one holers and nonsuited 67, 54, etc. Poker tracker says I'm Loose aggressive-aggressive, and when I get a lot of money (say 2 1/2 buy ins) I pretty much give it away(although I always thought it was the cards, denial?).I played about 2 hours a day, give or take some... thanks for the feedback...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are playing too high. You would need about 50 buy ins for SNGs and 20 buy ins for the 50-100NL cash game. Read the FAQs in the single table tournament and small stakes NL forums for bankroll requirments.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I read HOHv2's heads up section, and various other articles and I thought, man, I'd be great at this. Won 8 heads up in a row for 10$ once, thought i was the [censored](this was about a month ago) and when i started losing (about back down to 500) is when I went back into the higher stakes ones, figurin to make a quick buck back) or lose even more bankroll)... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] heads up is about 35% luck, anyone else agree?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:42 PM

depends on the size of the blinds...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:45 PM

Default How old are you?

And do you have any income? Why are you playing such high stakes?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:39 PM

I'm down $4000 since Saturday.

I'm frighteningly pissed off.

Adam
Old 10-26-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: How old are you?

For one thing you are playing above your bankroll. You ran $115 up to ten times that amount, that's the good news, the bad news is that you gave back almost half of it in one day. And that's AWFUL news. A lot of players have a hard time moving back down once they've moved up. Don't make that mistake again, there's no shame in moving down during a cold streak.

Whenever I run cold I always, without exception, take a day or two off and study poker instead of playing poker. I read poker almost daily either way, but I'm talking about not playing a single hand for a couple of days and hitting the books hard, for several hours. Even if it's just rereading a text that I've already read. It reminds me of just how much I've outstudied most of the competition and it helps to get some perspective. Losing nights and bad beats are part of the game and they should be expected. When they start to drive you crazy take a step back and get your head right before you play your next hand.

Nothing personal, but it sounds like you could stand to do some reading on bankroll management.

Best of luck...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:25 AM

lock this thread.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm about -$11k for the last 2.5 months (shameless whining), and I am still a winning player

[/ QUOTE ]

either you dont play very often, or you are a losing player.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:40 AM

This is obviously your problem. Stop sitting down with a fifth of your roll while on tilt (moving up in stakes on a downswing is a sign of ADDICTION and TILT). Stop making loose calls. Stop pushing PF with AQs (who is going to call you here? QQ+. Make a note on the guy who called PF. Unless it was very very obvious that you were tilting, its a donk call, and even if he had a solid read on you its still a donk call).

For now go bonus whore (Absolute has a big reload every few days and Bet365 has $150 bonus for october, these will give you a start to build up enough to play NL25. Don't play on a site unless you are actively whoring a bonus so that every cent of your rake comes back to you while you are building up a roll)

let me repeat: if you start to steam, just log off. Do something completely unrelated to poker for an hour. Come back with a clear(er) head, look at your PT history for the session, learn from your mistakes, and post a few hands on 2+2. After doing this sign back on and double up off of some donks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2005, 02:34 AM

This is fairly normal variance.
This is bad bankroll management.
This is a player who really doesn't understand much.
This is probably someone who does not play a winning game....but possibly plays break-even poker.

Any time anybody says something like "I play good starting hands" then you know you have player who isn't very good. Anyone who thinks this is worth mentioning just doesn't understand winning poker.
Anyone who posts about how much money they have lost without mentioning the stakes or how many hands this has taken place over clearly doesn't "get it" either.