Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 10:09 AM

Default A question on the standard AK line

AKo - TPTK

We all now this standard line with AK, and it's effectiveness has been proven time and time again.

How about this, you have AK PF and raise, BB calls. Flop comes a A92r and when checked to you bet. BB calls. Turn is a blank and BB checks. You check behind. Then the river is a K, giving you top two pair. Do you still just call if BB bets, or do you raise?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: A question on the standard AK line

Maybe a mini value raise, depends on stack size. I'm not so in love with my hand that I'm calling a significant deep stack check/raise.

Default is call.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 AM

This is where it pays off huge to know your opponent. Some opponents don't fold Axo in the BB, and will play it like this, and will pay of a river raise.

Against a tight player I just call. In between these two types of players, it's close, and it's probably not a huge mistake no matter what you do
Old 10-10-2005, 10:33 AM

It's really weak not to raise this if the board is no flush with no realistic straight possibility - and Im guilty of weak tight river calls. You are only worried about a set - which is not out of the realm of possibility, but also not the most likely of villain's holdings.

The point of calling with AK TPTK on the river is because such a wide range of hands that would give action to the river can beat you. The most likely of these hands is two pair. Since the river eliminates any risk from these hands, I think a value bet/raise is in order. Aces up will give you action and so will two pair hands that hit the King. Im willing to play a larger pot once the King hits. Of course a reraise allin will make you puke, but against most opponents at SSNLHE (at least up through 200NL) you will be ahead with AK much more than you would be behind.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 AM

If I'm deep and they're shallow I'm putting their stack in right there.

But yeah, I puke if I get reraised.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:17 AM

the K didn't really improve your hand very much. the only hands you're now beating that you weren't before are other two pair hands like A9 or A2.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the K didn't really improve your hand very much. the only hands you're now beating that you weren't before are other two pair hands like A9 or A2.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been thinking. If I'm WA on the flop, the K changes nothing. Also if he has a set the K changes nothing, I'm still WB. So calling is the best option?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm deep and they're shallow I'm putting their stack in right there.

But yeah, I puke if I get reraised.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anybody is shallow, then my stack goes in on the turn.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM

This line is good if villain wont call a turn bet with a hand that you beat. If he will call a turn bet with a hand that you beat (and isn't inclined to bluff raise you), then bet the turn AND the river.

If villain will fold worse hands and push better hands (only) then this is a good line. However, by the time we get to the river, the K doesnt really change much, as it only puts us ahead of A9 or A2, and if hero is one of those guys who will only play with better hands after the turn, then these arent likely hands for him in the first place. You are still behind 99 and 22, and the K didnt really change that.

If you thought villain had a worse Ace, and would call, then bet the turn.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:39 PM

I am new and just giving my opinion so let me know if you disagree. Did his check on the turn not show weakness and then gives the villain the opportunity to bet his big ace or even a hand like jacks more confidently. Remember he was in the BB and many people will call raises from BB with bad hands. I feel like the hero's turn check just induced a bet possibly. I just feel that a raise is in order on the river for value. I would not be worried about anything but 99, 22, and kk. if in disagreement please explain why. thanks.