Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Poker Talk Show

So who's going to host the first poker talk show on cable? You know it's coming. Probably on FSN or ESPN. Kind of like Jesse May's little show on cardplayer.com during the WSOP, or Chris Rose's "Best Damn Sports Show." Maybe there's a market for it, maybe it's overkill. But I can see a late night talkshow format, fun to watch, pros come on and talk strategy and be funny, etc. I just got the WPT season 2 DVD and listened to the commentary of two episodes by Phil Laak and Antonio Esfandiari. It sort of felt like listening to a Howrd Stern broadcast. I also listened to some of Phil Gordon's podcasts and it felt the same way, like a bunch of guys hanging out, cracking jokes and talking shop. If poker continues to boom the way it has been, I see a show like this as an inevitability.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Poker Talk Show

[ QUOTE ]
So who's going to host the first poker talk show on cable? You know it's coming. Probably on FSN or ESPN. Kind of like Jesse May's little show on cardplayer.com during the WSOP, or Chris Rose's "Best Damn Sports Show." Maybe there's a market for it, maybe it's overkill. But I can see a late night talkshow format, fun to watch, pros come on and talk strategy and be funny, etc. I just got the WPT season 2 DVD and listened to the commentary of two episodes by Phil Laak and Antonio Esfandiari. It sort of felt like listening to a Howrd Stern broadcast. I also listened to some of Phil Gordon's podcasts and it felt the same way, like a bunch of guys hanging out, cracking jokes and talking shop. If poker continues to boom the way it has been, I see a show like this as an inevitability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Rose is an unbelievable douche.
Mike Sexton is like a boring old grandfather.
Jesse May was okay, a little goofy.
Matt Vasgerian who does the San Diego Padre broadcasts and has done some poker and WSOBJ shows is pretty good.
Padraig Parkinson as a sidekick was awesome, I think he is hilarious.

It will likely be someone who does other sports stuff and knows poker (like Rose) but that would be disappointing.

Most entertaining potential hosts: Ellix Powers

Also I think even though 1.4 seems to be roundly disliked, he might be fun to watch on a talk show or something.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:17 PM

Ellix Powers? I can think of a million others who would be more entertaining, knowledgable, and deserving than him. With a name like that, he's better off finding a job in the adult entertainment industry.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:09 PM

Gabe Kaplan.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:58 PM

kap is legit
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 AM

C'mon guys. There will never be a poker talk show until there is a 24-hour gaming channel, which I predict for 2007.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:21 AM

I predict it for 2005. Here in the UK. Now.

Phill
ps, barney boatman if not the main anchor as a regular co host would be awesome - his commentry MADE the best series of LNP
Old 08-22-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon guys. There will never be a poker talk show until there is a 24-hour gaming channel, which I predict for 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even then, I don't think we'll have a poker talk show that airs more than once a week. There's no market for this.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:28 PM

I don't see a poker talk show coming (except the Grossman show, which I don't think they have except for during the WSOP).

Even if there is a gaming channel, I think it would likely be dominated by general Vegas-type programming, like "Breaking Vegas" or the stuff the Travel Channel has as the lead-in to the WPT, with poker tournaments and strategy programs on top. They might show "Rounders" or "The Big Blind" every once in a while. But I don't see a talk show, at least not a year-round one.

If there is one, the host must be Gabe Kaplan. Must.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:17 AM

I agree about Kaplan, however, I think they missed the boat in the heads-up tournament. They should have had him talking to the winners and losers after each match. He could have gotten under the surface a little more and given us some insight as to what was really going on. He seems to be able to get more real information out of the players. The interviews they had were fluff, like all the other poker shows.

I bet on him in the WSOP main event to outlasts Tobey Macguire and Ben Affleck. Both bets were even money. I thought I had the best of it but neither Kaplan or Affleck showed up.. At least Affleck had an excuse. Doesn't Kaplam play in the ME anymore?