Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-29-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Reveal income to doctor?

So I am seeing a doctor for a surgery that unfortunately is not covered by health insurance. I go in today and he tells me it will be around 20,000 total, half for him and half for the hospital bill. He says that he is cutting me a deal on this, he doesn't want to gouge me because he understands how tough it is to be young and that I need this surgery. The price is significantly lower than what I expected.

Anyways, apparently I had told one of the assistants at a doctors office that works with his that I played a lot of p*ker. He says he's always been interested but really doesn't get the game. He mentions something about stocks. He seems to be trying to get at how well I do (I do well). Would you reveal that or downplay your success?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Reveal income to doctor?

talk about downswings and try to give the impression you're broke. see if you can't get a better deal.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am seeing a doctor for a surgery that unfortunately is not covered by health insurance. I go in today and he tells me it will be around 20,000 total, half for him and half for the hospital bill. He says that he is cutting me a deal on this, he doesn't want to gouge me because he understands how tough it is to be young and that I need this surgery. The price is significantly lower than what I expected.

Anyways, apparently I had told one of the assistants at a doctors office that works with his that I played a lot of p*ker. He says he's always been interested but really doesn't get the game. He mentions something about stocks. He seems to be trying to get at how well I do (I do well). Would you reveal that or downplay your success?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't mind me asking, what's the surgery and how much do you make? What surgery does your surgeon feel you "need" that isn't covered by insurance?

dizong
Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 AM

It's orthongnatic surgery, they are breaking my jaw in 4 places and moving the lower jaw back and the upper jaw forward to correct an underbite. As for money, it's not an issue but of course I want to save as much as possible.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's orthongnatic surgery, they are breaking my jaw in 4 places and moving the lower jaw back and the upper jaw forward to correct an underbite. As for money, it's not an issue but of course I want to save as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were me, I'd keep my underbite shut about my income. Let him gouge the insured (if anyone), not someone who's paying out of pocket.

dizong
Old 12-29-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for money, it's not an issue but of course I want to save as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I'm not really sure what you're asking. You said the operation is "significantly lower than you expected", and now you say money is not an issue. So what's the dilemma?

If you want to get a better break, just grind him harder. I don't see why you would want to discuss your poker winnings with anyone.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If it were me, I'd keep my underbite shut about my income.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 12-29-2005, 02:39 AM

As something of a digression, I think it's kind of depressing that an uninsured patient gets charged much more for just about everything than insurance companies. What is billed vs. what is standard and customary payment usually seems to differ by a factor of 2.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 AM

Funny thing, I had no idea this existed, but apparently they have a book released every year that assesses how much they should charge for each specific procedure based on zip code. Really quite amazing.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:54 AM

haven't heard about the zip code charges but medical providers certainly charge much more than what they expect to receive. they can write off the difference. there are other reasons too such as knowing that the insurance company will pay less and that attorneys will attempt to negotiate the balance if the treatment was on a lien basis. the more they charge, the more they can seek.