Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: A favor to ask.

I just watched our own MaxPower get berated for drawing out. Sadly, he didn't leave the table. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2005, 07:07 PM

i resolved today to stop responding to fish insulting my play, stop saying "WOW" after getting drawn out on and to stop defending fish who are getting ragged on. its too distracting.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:02 PM

This is so true. Why would anyone want to rip on someone who is giving away his money? For sure, those people call in too many spots and will invariably draw out on occasion. They are making an incorrect play that will win you, and the other players at the table, money in the long run. This is to be encouraged. Please do not make them feel bad for making a bad play. Instead check your ego at the door, let them play how they want and reap the rewards of their poor play.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They never leave as a result of someone berating their play, and they never ever play better either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Many times I have seen players stop playing any two suited cards, or tighten up in early position directly as a result of loudmouth table coaches. Earlier this week I had a 85 vpip guy leave my 10/20 6 max. game because some jackass was giving him heat for playing bad starting hands.

Even if there were no downside to behaving rudely toward opponents there are almost no potential benefits. The only time I would even consider giving somebody heat is if they are A) awful at poker B) out of chips and almost certain NOT to rebuy, AND C) the type of person whose ego won't let them leave the table after they've been "challenged." Even under these conditions it's not always a wise move, because you can easily get caught up in the banter and start steaming.

Please don't berate the fish.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand all this. The mid-limit players online are not only bad they love to talk trash and love being confrontational. They never leave as a result of someone berating their play, and they never ever play better either.

I used to agree that berating players online is bad, but these days I don't really see it as being a problem. Live poker of course is a different story

[/ QUOTE ]

I know i'm late to the party, but this his horrible. Bad players, at least most of them, don't really believe that 'skill' has anything to do with success at limit holdem. They don't analyze situations and possible actions, they just play their hand. When you rag on a bad player, whether it happens immediatly or 3 weeks later, it causes them, possibly for the first time, to ask themselves if there was something they could have done 'better'. This is a tragic day for all winning poker players, because now sed fish has started his journey towards education and improvement. He might never become a winning player, but he'll learn to lose less. Its inevitable. To think that berating a bad player has no negative effect on your bottom line is hopelessly ignorant.

Please don't tap the glass...

lf
P.S. Props to Big Endian for posting this, its been happening a lot...