Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Letters of Resignation

Try something like this:

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Boss,

After an appropriate period of deliberation, I have come to the decision to tender my resignation, effective November 10, 2000.

Please know that I still maintain a high level of respect for you as a manager and colleague, and I thank you sincerely for the support and assistance you have offered me in each of those roles. I have been proud to work for your company over the past eight years; it has been a journey that has provided me an unparalleled foundation to move forward to new and exciting opportunities.

As such, I have decided to become a professional pirate. It has always been a dream of mine to live the life of a swashbuckling corsair, beholden to none and master of all I survey. Once my crew of unabashed rogues is assembled, we shall take to the capacious expanse of the high seas to pursue fortune, fame, and hair-raising adventure.

Our path may not be filled with the porcine comforts and technological marvels that your company provides, but we shall nonetheless move forward to carve a name for ourselves in the annals of bold insurgency and death-defying derring-do. Once I have a keen blade at my hip and the Jolly Roger is flapping high above me, I believe I will find my true calling.

Please note that I am currently accepting applications for First Officer, if you are at all interested in applying. I will provide a full medical and dental plan, which will offer immediate coverage of all maladies other than scurvy and the occasional bout of rickets.

Sincerely

Captain Warik

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-22-2005, 02:03 PM

I have no intention of being rude or unprofessional, and it has nothing to do with burning bridges... I'm just not like that and I won't do it.

However, I don't see how this can go in such a way that will get me a good reference later. It's a tiny company and is in the worst shape it has ever been and I, a key player, am jumping ship. Even if it keeps running after I'm gone he's gonna hate me for it. Yeah, legally he can't say "he was the worst employee I ever had, don't hire him" but he also can't be legally obligated to say "he's the best employee ever. I'd hire him on the spot any day of the week."

Plus, I want to leave even if I don't have another job ready. I'd rather live off my savings and job hunt with no other obligations than stay here until I find something else. (live at home so being without work for a month is no problem). I don't see how you can tell someone "I'd rather make less / make nothing than work for you" in a polite way and not piss them off.

Any of you ever had a former employer you knew would give you a bad reference and instead you gave a coworker as a reference saying they were your superior? A former employee was a manager directly below me and is willing to give me a reference (as am I to him, as he was fired very unprofessionally), could that work in the worst case scenario or will it likely bite me on the ass?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:11 PM

dude, is your employer a big dick or something? most people understand people moving on. If you are as good as you say you are and he doesn't give you a good reference he is a complete tool. Just tell them the truth and that you don't feel like it's the best fit anymore. At the end of the day it really is just a job and you're probably making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

FYI I have quit a few times and I've never written a resignation letter. maybe that's weird..

I wouldn't lie in a reference. It will probably work but it's silly. If you think they'll give you a bad reference don't use them. Just ask and you should get a pretty good idea. Or get them to write a letter of recommendation so you have an idea of what they'll say..
Old 12-22-2005, 02:12 PM

Warik,

I've never had a former employer give me a bad reference, they all told the truth when asked, even if I basically screwed them by leaving. Now, when you are interviewing at other companies, explain the situation, so that way they are aware of what may or may not occur. Seems the best route, imo. If they fold because you left, well, then your value should be quite high at the new company, no?

either way, GL dude.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:18 PM

My $0.02...

First, I doubt that formal letter is neccessary, but I suppose it can't hurt. Regardless of whether you hand him a letter or not, though, be sure to tell your boss to his face. Since you don't have another job lined up, I'd make up something unverifiable thing that you are going to be doing, like traveling or seeing your family or something. What you don't want to happen is that your boss says "well, can you stay just a little longer?" and you don't have any response other than "no, because I can't [censored] stand it here anymore - I'd rather sit at home and be jobless". He should be professional and not even ask you, but you don't want to get put in a corner where he basically forces you to be overly honest.

I wouldn't worry about using a non-superior as a reference, but I wouldn't lie about it. I've been a reference for a peer before and it didn't seem to matter. A smart employer will know that a reference from an underling can be just as useful. Besides, I think that a lot of companies don't put much stock in references any more - they know that they are pretty unreliable, and that a lot of employers won't risk the liability of ever saying anything bad about anyone. At my current job that they actually made me the offer before even checking my references (it was contingent on them checking out) - they essentially just used my references to make sure that I didn't lie about anything on my resume.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:20 PM

I would def not put anything in writing other than the length of your notice. leave any reasons and any other info out of the letter.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, is your employer a big dick or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has his days. I'm not saying that he will 100% give me a bad reference but given the situation he's in and that the company is in I'm afraid that he will resent me and take it out on me in the only way he'd have left (bad reference). I mean [censored], he gave me and this other dude a significant pay cut 2 weeks after the other guy told him he was buying a house and wanted to make sure everything was alright business-wise before he made the commitment... then, he tried to demote the guy again a month later and ended up firing him when the guy said no.

How can I trust somebody like that, even if he's not screwed me to that degree before?

[ QUOTE ]
At the end of the day it really is just a job and you're probably making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's also a very valid point and may very well be the case.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't lie in a reference. It will probably work but it's silly. If you think they'll give you a bad reference don't use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... the problem is that it's my only job. I'll look like [censored] to a potential employer if I don't have a good reference from the only job I've held in my life.

[ QUOTE ]
Or get them to write a letter of recommendation so you have an idea of what they'll say..

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody know if it's bad taste to ask for a letter of recommendation in your letter of resignation? =)
Old 12-22-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they fold because you left, well, then your value should be quite high at the new company, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... I didn't really think of it that way. You make an excellent point.

[ QUOTE ]
either way, GL dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2005, 02:31 PM

"How can I trust somebody like that, even if he's not screwed me to that degree before?"

Is he the owner? CEO? if not he could have been telling the truth to your friend. Also, did your friend actually suck?

"Anybody know if it's bad taste to ask for a letter of recommendation in your letter of resignation? =) "

yeah it is. Just send him an email or something after you leave or in your last week and ask him if could a) be used as a reference and b) write a short letter of recommendation. Regardless of the outcome you should have a much better idea of where you stand.

"I agree... the problem is that it's my only job. I'll look like [censored] to a potential employer if I don't have a good reference from the only job I've held in my life."

yeah I agree, that's a tough one. I still wouldn't lie.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is he the owner? CEO? if not he could have been telling the truth to your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a mom and pop and he's the pop. He knew exactly what was going on, and if he didn't, he should have.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did your friend actually suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. We couldn't have gotten where we were without him.

[ QUOTE ]
yeah it is. Just send him an email or something after you leave or in your last week and ask him if could a) be used as a reference and b) write a short letter of recommendation. Regardless of the outcome you should have a much better idea of where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.