Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: 99 on button on bubble

[ QUOTE ]
Certainly, the all in play has some merit and it's far superior to a smaller raise or a call, but for me, 99 is right on the borderline for this play. I muck 99 and jam with TT here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I thought about this exact point a lot while I was contemplating what to do. I know people tend to over value mid pp. i.e. people pushing with 33-77 without hesitating.

Often with a hand like 55, I'll ask myself would I push here with 67s? Most likely not. So I thought about laying this down the same way. On the contrary I did not want to play weak/tight poker on the bubble.

I'm still not sure what the correct answer is, but I'd be interested to hear what some of the other players have to say.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:59 PM

i hate a fold. there's no way i fold 88 either.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the contrary I did not want to play weak/tight poker on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

A laudable goal, but letting a hand go in a very marginal situation is not weak-tight (raising half your stack and then folding a "good" flop is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). Many medium pairs play similarly: if the money goes in, you are almost always a small favorite or big dog. 99 is certainly better than 88 or 77, but it still plays very much like a medium pair.

While it sucks to lay down 99 (or 88 or 77) to a raise in position preflop, it is often the correct play.

Aside: In the "old" days (4 years ago or so), this is the exact same conversation we'd be having about JJ! The looseness and agressiveness of the average player has risen such that 99 is now (to me) the border hand.

-Oz-