Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Am I too loose?

1/2 NL

I'm currently winning over 50k hands.. I know not that big of a sample.. but I'm playing about 34% of my hands.. which seems like way too many..

I'm just wondering if 34% is way too loose and I need to tighten up a bit?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Am I too loose?

small sample size, but 34% doesnt seem too incredibly high unless its 34% VPIP
Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 PM

My VPIP is 25%.. and my aggression factor or whatever is 2.6..
Old 12-16-2005, 01:13 PM

One book I read (I don't remember which) said that to play TAG you want to see around 25% of the flops. Unfortunately, I can't remember if that includes the blinds or not. If that number didn't include the blinds, then your 34% would be about right according to that book. Personally I am trying to play TAG and seem to usually be around 22% to 24% of the flops. Also, how do you figure out your aggression factor?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM

Pokertracker
Old 12-16-2005, 01:49 PM

I'm not sure what you mean... Are you wondering what Pokertracker is? If so, it's a software program you can purchase that tracks your hands played, as well as opponent's hands played. This allows you to look back at various situations and determine where the leaks are in your game, as well as identify playing styles and tendencies of opponents. As I said before, I don't have it yet, so my info on this is limited, but I think those are the basics of what this software will do.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:55 PM

This depends a lot whether it's party or stars or where ever else. If you're in a game where the preflop raises aren't that big or don't happen too often but people pay off big bets on or after the flop, then you can play pretty loose preflop (over about 5k hands at a site that will remain nameless I've been playing $25pl, and seeing 36% and have been averaging around 20bb/100 which I guess means 40 big blinds/hh. Raises are infrequent and rarely big pre flop, but people pay off). If people play horribly post flop but the raises are big and often, 36% might get you into trouble or not. And if people are very tight and aggressive preflop and play well after, expect to lose money fast.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:39 PM

It all depends on your style of play. Just calling with that many hands versus raising and building pots.

You can probably expect some pretty big swings in your roll. Kudos to you.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 PM

As a beginner you usually play too many hands. Then you tighten up your play and become a better player. But meantime you learn more about playing marginal hands - and therefore play more hands. So I would say that % seen flops may be very individual, and very much depending on your style.
B.t.w. I play mostly shorthanded and probably see much more than 34%, and can't really say if you are too lose or not.