Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 02:29 AM

Default A9

How do you guys play A9s or A9o because everytime I get it I cringe because I always seem to play it wrong. PF I usually will raise with it and if it is suited I will call a small raise, any thoughts or suggestions that will hopefully make me stop hating this hand
Old 09-05-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: A9

Depends on your position, and whether you are talking 6max or full ring. Full ring, fold it in about the first 3-4-5 spots. (depending on how goot you play postflop) If you are opening the betting after that, then probably raise it like it's AA. You can probably limp with it late after other limpers, but need to fold it if there is a PFR.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 AM

Sry forgot to include I only play 6 max
Old 09-05-2005, 02:51 AM

A9s I play like any Axs, which I play like a small PP. Only difference is I don't call a standard raise with Axs (maybe a leak?), while I do a PP. I fold in EP, limp in MP, limp in LP unless I am first in and then in LP I make a standard raise.

A9o is a trash hand. Honestly, if you want to play that, play it like you would K8o. They have the same value more or less. Maybe try a steal with it, but it doesn't have much real value. Call in SB, check in BB.

Edit: After OP put out he plays only 6max, this is full ring advice. Any full ringers play it a lot differently? Should I change?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:59 AM

I play six max and I will raise with it but only when I have opponents who like bad aces. If you're against tight opponents who only call raises with big aces then you're at the very bottom on that range. The other fun thing about this hand if the flop comes 9 high rag rag then you can stack overplayed small pocket pairs.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:02 AM

In 6 max, I will raise with A9s as an attempt to pick up blinds/ ug1 limp. I ussually do this when I feel it willgive me the best position on the flop. So if the guy right to my left calls anything, I may be less prone to use this move. If I get called, oh well, I atleast have a decent hand that I can play with. A9s is speculative hand. You cannot put a great deal of faith in it if you hit an A. I don't put a lot of Faith in my A with AT. You really want a set/two pair/flush draw. If your opponants are weak you may be able to steal with a CB on the flop. A9o is crap. I use this hand and hands like it to try to steal from weak blind but thats about as far as it goes. And I am a LAG!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:11 AM

K8o does NOT have the same value as A9o

Edit: And why is Axs so much better? Do you often raise with J2s? The primery value of Axs is the ace, and A9o is a far better ace than A2
Old 09-05-2005, 02:45 PM

I am not a big fan of A 9s or o. I rarely raise with it unless I am in late position and i am playing in a TAG. If I am in early position in a full ring game, I will fold A 9o and limp with A9s. There really is no reason to get too agressive with the hand b/c it is not that strong.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:53 PM

For me, in a 6-handed NL cash game they're both blind-steals and nothing more.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:03 PM

So lets say you get called and the flop comes down with an A how would your general approach for the hand be? What if the flop comes 9 high?