Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Home game controversy - What would you do?

Hosted home game tourney last night and toward the end i dealt for the 4 remaining players after busting out. At the beginning of the night we said that the best hand shown down would win (we usually require the bettor to call his own hand in our games) since we had 2 fairly new players who weren't good with rank of hands, etc.
On one of the last hands with about a $120 pot with all-in at river, player A called the all-in and when asked to show cards player A showed an Ace that made top pair with the board. player B showed 2 pair and player A conceded defeat. someone wanted to see player A's other card that he didn't reveal and it turned out that other hole card gave him a flush. Needless to say this caused a bit of a stir amongst all.
Any idea what is the right way to have settled this? One argument is that the best complete hand won due to what we agreed upon at beginning of game and the other side of argument is that the hand that was shown down by player A should only include the ace he chose to reveal and the other hole card shouldn't be taken into consideration.
What would you have done being the dealer here?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Home game controversy - What would you do?

hand speaks. the player with the flush should have won.

they went to showdown therefore the best hand should win.

as long as the revealed ace was not a post muck reveal, the flush hand should have won.

if this was amongst friends though and this amount of money is significant to them, you might consider calling it a misdeal.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:07 PM

next time, make sure you tell the unexperienced people to show both cards if there is a showdown. if they choose not to, they do so at their own risk.

as it payed out in this case, obviously the flush wins. calling a misdeal would be inappropriate IMO.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:17 PM

Since the whole point of your "cards talk" rule was to prevent someone from losing a pot like this out of inexperience, it would seem rather foolish/nonsensical to then not give the pot to the flush hand. I realize he didn't initially show both cards, but he did have the best hand. And the point of your rule was to make sure the best hand dragged the pot, so do it.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:21 PM

I think you meant to reply to my post.

I agree that flush hand should win it and that that is the correct way of doing it but if it would upset friendships then a misdeal could be considered.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:40 PM

You said since the players were new, "cards-speak".

The flush wins. Dumb luck for a noob. Happens all the time.

ps: wrong forum.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:47 PM

Call him a dumb $hit for showing only one card. When I deal at our games (and with my cheap-ass friends we only do $5 buy-ins), I usually say "it takes two cards to win the pot", so stuff like this won't happen.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:55 PM

A little related rant. I really hate people showing one card and trying showing both their whole cards. If I ever have another home game when it comes time for a player to show down and he shows one card his other card is considered in the muck. No having him force a player show his hand that beats his one card hand and slowrolling him with the better two pair or something like that its poor form. My two cents.
Cheers,
Luca
Old 08-13-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call him a dumb $hit for showing only one card. When I deal at our games (and with my cheap-ass friends we only do $5 buy-ins), I usually say "it takes two cards to win the pot", so stuff like this won't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a problem with calling the guy a dumb $hit. Then get everyone another beer, and realize that more money was consumed in beer than all the buy-ins combined. Then get everyone another beer. Repeat until everyone is happy again.