Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is a better tell?
One that means a 44 48.35%
One that means a 47 51.65%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 PM

Default I have taken over the WSOP raffle... here is the proposed formats

Hi all,
Tuco has been busy so I have officially taken over the WSOP raffle for the zoo, I already have my seat so I won't be playing in the raffle although I am eagerly anticipating seeing who I get to meet in Vegas from the zoo from this raffle. I have contacted representitives from both TruePoker and PokerStars and have laid out four options for such an event. I am looking for a small amount of feedback in this thread as to which would be the most favorable to you folks.
1) Normal MTT - This option will not be included in the poll, as running such an event with zero vig would be near impossible.
2) High card tournament - This would simply sit down 10 tables of 10 (Would be messed up with PS, 9 man tables) And high card advances, much like the new hold 'em lottery game's final tourney available in the northeast
3) Extreme Turbo Tournament - This is my favorite of the options as it would be a 110 man MTT with no vig and 1 or 2 minute levels, this would essentially be a raffle, however, it would add a twist of poker into it as well. Winner would take $10K seat and $1K for flight+hotel
4) Raffle - No poker, winner is chosen at random by site, 110 man cap, $10K + $1K.

Which do you, the zoo prefer? Any comments are more than welcome, until I get something concrete announced this will be the only thread for this raffle so any gratuitous bumping is more than welcome, lets get another 2+2'er a shot at the big time!
~Justin Rollo
Old 05-18-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: I have taken over the WSOP raffle... here is the proposed formats

Obviously I'm not involved in this since I too have my seat.

But I would think that you could still do a normal MTT with minimal (or lowered) vig on stars.

they lower the vig for us on the KOTZ's.

Certainly there is a chance they could be talked into doing a 100+4 instead of 100+9 perhaps.

Note - I haven't kept up very much with this. If having any vig at all is really that much of a problem for the zoo then obviously this idea would not be a good one.

I too anxiously await seeing who comes out of this with a WSOP seat.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:35 PM

I agree that a normal MTT would be good too, however, the zoo members can play a 1:110 sat at essentially any site even now with only slightly higher vig than that of what we could haggle it down to, this would add a quick, 'lottery' element to winning a WSOP seat, like buying a scratch ticket where 1:110 wins, not bad odds for a seat and $1000 to cover expenses. This is why I love the extreme turbo idea as it would be fun for all involved and at worst last 20-30 mins.
~Justin
Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 PM

I don't know if you have a different arrangement with Stars...but anyone else who wins a seat there gets $1k for travel...and Stars gives you the 9-night hotel stay for free (as long as you wear their gear).

This gives a nice little 'overlay' of sorts to the Stars WSOP qualifiers since that $1k worth of hotel stay does NOT come out of the prize-pool.

Anyway...I would assume that this might be the same kind of arrangement that the zoo could make for their raffle winner (thus providing the exact same 'overlay' that the qualifers there get).
Old 05-18-2005, 08:44 PM

Well for this reason we would have 110 runners, therefore the winner would receive $1K for travel expenses. Asking PS to charge vig then give away hotel and $1K for flight would be too much to ask, if that is what you are getting at. So a $100+$0, 110 man tourney would essentially cover most of what a normal PS seat consists of. Did I understand you Bob?
~Justin
Old 05-18-2005, 08:48 PM

I think so.

What I was generally getting at was that Stars seems to consider the hotel part to ALREADY be a part of the package when their online-qualifer wins it.

Perhaps the no-vig bit makes a difference though and that would be a reason why they wouldn't want to splruge for the hotel in this situation.

I just thought there was a chance that it might already be considered part of the deal even if it hasn't been specifically covered...if only because it's part of the deal for all of the other winners.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 PM

**Gratutitous Bump #1**
Old 05-18-2005, 10:38 PM

are thier still open slots? whats the price?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 PM

I liked the raffle idea as it didn't involve any skill at all and was completely random for who the zoo representitive would be.

If you're playing a turbo tournament, then it's obviously giving an advantage to those who are better at holdem than others.

I'm sure a good bit of the zoo is made up of people who either

a)Don't play Holdem
b)Don't play tournaments

Turbo tournament then gives some people an advantage. While you say the odds are 1:110, with a turbo tournemant, they are not.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:43 PM

I think that a raffle is the best way to go. Fair to all. Also that is the way that this was proposed. I think that we could also do a turbo tourney. The biggest question is

Are we going to be able to get a seat? Due to the fact that the romour mill has it being capped at 6k seats.