Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 05:07 PM

Default BB/100 = Big Bets or Big Blind ?

(Cross Posted from Internet Forum, think this is a more appropriate place for this post) Since I amde the Original Post I have thought about it and Big Bets not Big Blinds definately makes more sense... Would still like other's take on this...

In Limit I always assumed Big Bets, but ...

This is where I get a little confused on Poker Tracker's stats. In NLHE you are considered a solid winning player if you have a 8-10 BB/100 winning ratio when multi tabling the lower of that range is more realistic but for the sake of argument here (and to make the math easier) let's go with 10 BB/100 hands. Let's also keep it simple by saying while multi tabling you are playing 200 hands per hour.

If you are playing $25 NL at "PARTY POKER", let's look at these PTracker stats below...

1000 hands (over 5 hours)
10BB/100 Win Rate
-------------------------
$100 Total win over 5 hours for $20 per hour

If you are playing $50 NL at "PARTY POKER", let's look at these PTracker stats below...

10BB/100 Win Rate
$200 Total win over 5 hours for $40 per hour

However :

If you are playing $25 NL at "POKER STARS", let's look at these PTracker stats below...

10BB/100 Win Rate
$50 Total win over 5 hours for $10 per hour

If you are playing $50 NL at "POKER STARS", let's look at these PTracker stats below...

10BB/100 Win Rate
$100 Total win over 5 hours for $20 per hour

So at stars you would theoretically have to buyin twice as high and be bankrolled with twice as much to have the same win rate. Not to mention playing with better players overall. All due to the structure of blinds at Party's NL Games.

Despite all this, when I think of BB in NL I think of Big Blind not big bets since the max buyin at party's NL would be 25 Big Bets and at Stars (and other like minded sites) 50 Big Bets. If I look at this as Big Blinds it is 50 Big Blinds/100 Big Blinds relatively speaking.

Two part question here :

1) Should your 8-10 BB/100 win ratio be on "Big Bets" or "Big Blinds" ? If "Big Blinds" than Poker tracker is showing a win rate much higher than one should be expected to maintain at 10 BB/100 which is why I am assuming it is "Big Bets". I would like some clarification on this though.

2) Do you feel it is more advantageous to play at a site that has higher blinds with shorter buyins as the inexperienced players may feel less comfortable than they would in a Poker Star style buyin rate?
Old 01-31-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: BB/100 = Big Bets or Big Blind ?

in poker tracker its big bets.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM

In PT it is Big Bets, so 8-10 BB/100 means 8-10 big bets per 100 hands. And a good player will make at least 5x as much money at a Party structure as at a UB or Stars structure. The reason for this is that the blinds are bigger so the raises are bigger and the pots are bigger so you have tons of fish who win a hand or two (or three) and get large stacks but have no idea how to play. It is not at all unusual at Party to take $100 off of one guy. At UB (I don't play at Stars, but I think it is the same blind structure) you rarely see a fish with 3x the buy-in.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 PM

I find it a lot easier to play 100 BB sites. You can play more marginal hands preflop and stack people when you know they have an overpair. At Party, you often don't get the odds preflop to call with weaker hands in the hope of stacking the raiser.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 PM

You do once they have 3x the buy-in which is both more in terms of BBs and also more in terms of money. And the players are worse. If you think of it as playing premium starting hands strongly (if you have an overpair or TPTK) until you double up and then playing exactly like on your normal site (except with much worse players playing with more money) then you will KILL Party.