Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Why its important to know when to fold KK preflop....200 NL lowcon

[ QUOTE ]
i read an article in which the author stated he would NEVER lay down KK preflop on party. i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a reputable author? What limit does he play?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:30 AM

In order to lay down KK pre-flop you'd have be just about positive that villain would never make this play with any other hand. That being said, it's almost impossible to 'know' that with any degree of certainty. I think folding KK here would almost always be terrible.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Why its important to know when to fold KK preflop....200 NL lowcontent

I don't understand why you posted this. Your subject line would suggest that this is an example of the right time/way to laydown KK preflop, but the content suggest otherwise. You can only laydown KK preflop if you think the other guy has aces, otherwise you should raise. It turns out you made a terrible play. He had tens and you folded to him. You should have raised and tried to get it all in preflop. If he hits a set then so be it, but your play was completely 100% wrong. I just don't get what you're trying to show.

I've had KK three times when I felt I was beat preflop. The first two times I said to myself, if he's got aces he's got aces but I can't let go of this. Both times he had aces and I got stacked. The third time I got that feeling, I folded KK preflop.

But if anything, your post shows that folding KK preflop is generally a bad idea. Now I'm wondering if I'll ever consider folding KK preflop again after reading your post.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:19 AM

I think there are times where it is warranted, but they are very rare.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Why its important to know when to fold KK preflop....200 NL lowcontent

I was playing $25 NL at party today getting a start on "the chalange". I was in the cutoff and had about $40 another player in early position raised to 1 and a middle position player raised to 4 I have QQ accidently over raise with the slider to 15 ep folds and this player waits for a little while and types you would only do that with one hand and folds. After he says he had kings, I tell him good fold. While I have never folded kings before after this I am sure I will not unless the bet is way out of proportion to the pot is reraised in a game I cannot afford. I think folding Kings is very -ev I think you would need to be around 80 percent sure and you can rarly if ever put a player on a hand that well someone else can do the math on how sure you need to be or quote Coultier and ivory snow.

Cheers
Old 08-17-2005, 09:17 AM

I think one of the few times I'd lay down KK would be to a big limp UTG re-raise by a tight player.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 AM

What's the point of this post? The subject line implies you made a good laydown when, clearly, you didn't.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I didnt have that many hands on him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Horrid play. Unbearably weak/tight.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:44 AM

This seems like a good place to post my first fortuitous misclick ever. It happened last night. I saw the SB raise but then went back to look at another table and didn't realise that it had been re-raised (hopefully obviously).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">TWP ($184.13)</font>
MP ($30)
Button ($114.80)
SB ($105.50)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($87.73)</font>

Preflop: TWP is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
TWP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $29</font>, TWP calls $29, Button folds, SB calls $25.

Flop: ($91) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB calls $57.73 (All-In), TWP calls $57.73, SB folds.

Turn: ($206.46) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($206.46) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $206.46

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ah Kh (one pair, aces).
TWP has 6d 6h (three of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: TWP wins $206.46. </font>
Old 08-17-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why its important to know when to fold KK preflop....200 NL lowcontent

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The subject line implies you made a good laydown

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't. If anything the title is an attempt at ironic humor.