Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: All-in early in tournament -- call or not?

I think this is kind of a poll with no "right" answer per se. If you are the type that needs a big stack to survive, gambool it up... if you are the wait for a better spot type player wait...personally I like this gamble early in a tourney because you could be way ahead (smaller flush draw)(10% bluff) or behind with a min. of 9 outs and as many as 12(15 outs is too unlikely).
Old 07-29-2005, 02:19 AM

*grunching*

Seems like an easy fold. You have ace high and insufficient pot odds (I give you about 11.5 outs). If it was me and I thought he was bluffing, I'd just note it and be patient. Wait 'till you have a made hand and then stick it to him.

P.S. I'd also raise preflop.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:01 AM

that's the kind of move a guy makes when he's on a draw - I think he's got a couple high hearts and wants to beat you out of the pot - I don't think he wants a call-

personally, I'd call - hell with it - double up early or get out of the tourney - but that's just the way I've been feeling lately -

RB
Old 07-29-2005, 03:07 AM

Fold...you have a flush draw.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:54 AM

Sorry to get a little off subject here but there is something funny about the stacks. I first noticed that the button has already doubled up. I then noticed that there is just a little too much money if it was simply 9 down to 8 with no seat changes. This means at least 1 knockout, 1 replacement player then 1 player moved to another table. All this in the first 5 minutes? I have never played in a $5 tournament so maybe I am underestimating the volitility factor but this kind of action seemms more like a R/A tournament. If this is the case than the answers would probably be very different.

If it's not than with this kind of rediculous action wait for a made hand and bet all-in. Let the other players call off all their money on a draw.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:33 AM

This is an interesting post to me, because I play so many different buy in amounts. At the $5 level early on, you have all these jokers going all in on draws because they are very inexperienced. Bottom line, call here, your most likely ahead. However, later in the tournament, all these jokers will be busted out, so fold to moves like this later on. Long story short, if you don't take his money, some one else will.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 AM

The guy is raising 10 times the size of the pot. You shouldn't reward a massive overbet like that with a speculative call.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:27 AM

Why didn't we raise AQs preflop???????
Your prob behind here already, and shouldnt risk your tourney life on a flush draw although your ace is still prob a good out. The 5$ tourneys are notorious for 2x morerebuys than players in the first half hour but I still like to get my chips in with a huge preflop hand, or a made flop hand.

I was playing the 5 rebuy on pokersars one time, and got aces on the first hand, UTG, went all in, and had 5 callers!!!!! 1 had an a9s, one had 66, 109, kj, and another kj. I was sweatin it but increased my stack by 5x on the first hand and bullied the table from there.
good luck
cdl
Old 07-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Sorry I disagree in the 5 buck tournment early round strategy. If your looking to win, I take the risk here. If your looking to outplay, and just make the money. Than fold.

Similar situation hand for me. Early round 5 buck tournament. I have a pair of nines and flop top set with two of the same suit on board. Two other players in the pot. Both go all in before me, my play. Of course I call. I figure flush draw, and pair. There are no straight possibilites. One had two pair, other, jack high flush draw? The next flush card came and knocked me out. Wouldn't you make this call with top set? I still think my call was correct in that case. And a call in this one as well.

If this were even a 10 dollar buy in I say fold 5 dollar.... chances are crappy flush draw.

CALL IMO
Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM

This is not really the same situation. You're putting you money in with top set as a favorite to take down a big pot and triple up. The OP situations is not as clear as he could be way ahead, if up against another draw, or way behind if the villain has a made hand such a set of 6's.

Nevertheless, I'd probably call here to give myself the oppertunity for a big stack early on.