Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Unusual PF play.

I did this today. Usually the guy who minraised has something like AJ or KQ. The majority of the time, you'll just take the pot. I would probably only do it if there are at least 3 other people who limped. Any fewer than that and I just call.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:13 AM

I do it occasionally at the 55's.

One thing to consider is that most opponents know that you will not overlimp with aa/kk here, which may or may not increase the chances of getting a call depending on your opponents. (yes i know this isn't much help)
Old 09-24-2005, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do it occasionally at the 55's.

One thing to consider is that most opponents know that you will not overlimp with aa/kk here, which may or may not increase the chances of getting a call depending on your opponents. (yes i know this isn't much help)

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that your opponents will be making almost perfect decisions after you push is quite important here actually.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:20 AM

i agree that at the 25/50 level, the likelihood of running into a strong hand increases and also increases with increasing buy-in level
Old 09-24-2005, 04:28 AM

That will be true most of the time you push with 99, but often you can't fold it and can't trap with it.

You possibly be making their raise and call preflop a pretty decent mistake.

And, still some donks will call with a lower PP and some rocks will fold TT or JJ, which would be huge mistakes either way.

It was a good point, just some counters, and trying to make peace after my canada bashing.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would like it better at the next level, when the pot is even bigger, but I like it a lot here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think it is much less likely anyone has a strong hand at this blind level with the given action rather then at 25/50 with the same action and stack sizes?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I think anyone with a stronger hand would be more inclined to put in a raise or reraise at 25/50, not even giving you the chance to make this play.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:11 AM

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I thought there was a good chance it was wrong at the time, but I also thought it was close so I didn't sweat it.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 AM

All depends on who the button is since he is the only one to be worried about. The play is pretty transparent but there isn't really anyone who can punish you here for that.

That being said, in most cases I'm taking this pot everytime unless the button has told me something important beforehand.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:57 AM

I like this play with AK and don't like it with AQ. I don't really like it with 99 and TT, but I think it's fine with QQ and JJ. That's all I have to say. I think the chances of someone limping and calling an all-in with JJ, QQ, and AK are all high enough to make an all in with the hands I don't like, bad. (Although, most people do raise these hands pf, I usually limp with them).
Old 09-24-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All depends on who the button is since he is the only one to be worried about. The play is pretty transparent but there isn't really anyone who can punish you here for that.

That being said, in most cases I'm taking this pot everytime unless the button has told me something important beforehand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it depends mostly on our read of the button. I would usually be cautious though and only call unless I knew button liked to have the initiative/splash chips.