Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 01:58 PM

Default idol glitch/recount

<font color="green"> Fox has accidentally stumbled onto a way to squeeze an extra airing of American Idol onto its schedule: foul up the phone voting. That's what happened Tuesday night, when the show displayed the wrong call-in numbers for three of the contestants.

Voters who called the numbers listed for Anwar Robinson, Mikalah Gordon, or Jessica Sierra would have inadvertently registered support instead for Anthony Fedorov, Carrie Underwood, or Scott Savol. As a result, the error is forcing the first revote in Idol history.

Fox said in a statement that it would air a new hour-long Idol episode Wednesday night, adding that the show "will combine new live elements with encores of Tuesday's performances from the remaining 11 contestants." Fans will then be allowed to call in their votes on Wednesday night, while Tuesday's votes will be tossed out.

The results show that usually airs Wednesdays will then air on Thursday. This may prove an awkward solution, but it beats getting the Supreme Court involved.

03/23/05 06:50 EST

Click here to Try 2 Issues FREE of Entertainment Weekly

Copyright 2005 Entertainment Weekly, All Rights Reserved
</font>

you could infer some voting results from this story. can you spot what probably happened when they counted?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: idol glitch/recount

This is stupid. The intelligent solution would be just to reassign the phone numbers. It's not as if anyone knew the 'real' numbers and tried to call those. All of the above mentioned had their votes counted correctly...someone just labelled the bin wrong.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is stupid. The intelligent solution would be just to reassign the phone numbers. It's not as if anyone knew the 'real' numbers and tried to call those. All of the above mentioned had their votes counted correctly...someone just labelled the bin wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't do that.

as ryan worked through show, he gave correct numbers.

when they did recap at end, the numbers on screen were different and wrong.

people were given 2 numbers for 6 contestants. reassigning phone lines is no solution
Old 03-23-2005, 02:27 PM

Ah, now it makes sense. The article didn't mention that numbers had changed from the performance to the end of the episode. I simply assumed that it was a clerical error within the vote-counting office.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, now it makes sense. The article didn't mention that numbers had changed from the performance to the end of the episode. I simply assumed that it was a clerical error within the vote-counting office.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was an aol story.

here is a screenshot from the idol website. i had to do screenshot because you can't even copy text from there.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:34 PM

i have just done a tivo session of last nights show:

1. the numbers at the end during the recap seemed ok, but i need to go through that again.

2. i encourage everyone to carefully watch scott savol's performance as it re-airs tonight. the shedding of the hat and glasses were part of the performance for the song "take a look at me now". there was great use of symbolism with that move.

i posted last week that scott has the potential to be a real spoiler here and possibly advance to top 5. he really is very talented and has become less thuggish every week.

i just purchased 50 of him. if he makes top 5, i would not be surprised. i'm telling you, look carefully tonight.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM

This is great. This show is awful and now you have to listen to all the crappy songs again. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you bet on anyone yesterday, you should lose (unless you bet on no one winning). What a moronic thing to wager on anyway. Next, we will be wagering on Elementary school talent shows. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

HAHAHAHAHA - this is briliant and so deserved for this show.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:22 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

you obviously don't understand how the betting works or how much money is won by doing it
Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 PM

FWIW

i just rolled thru tivo again.

the last 3 contestants were listed in the recap at end like this

mikalah
866-idols-09
866-436-57<font color="red">01</font>

anwar
866-idols-10
866-436-57<font color="red">02</font>

jessica
866-idols-11
866-436-57<font color="red">03</font>

so, the name was right, the second line was right, but the third line pointed to contestants 1,2 &amp; 3

therefore, mikalah votes would have gone to anthony, anwar votes to carrie, and jessica votes to scott

only that small error, but too important to let it stand
Old 03-23-2005, 04:39 PM

The glitch was so small and probably didnt cause any significant voting errors at all. At the end of the show, when they recap the singers, it has a graphic like this:

Bo Bice
1-888-IDOLS 08
1-888-234-5601

See the IDOLS 08 number was correct (its also in a larger and bolder font, but when translated below, it shows 01 instead of 08. Probably 99% of people voted correctly.