Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Much more skill in stratego than monopoly

Stratego is a game of skill, with hidden information providing some randomization. However, a good player will beat a bad player virtually everytime. As a kid, I had a strategy no friend or family member could beat. I lost the first time I played this game and never lost again. After awhile, no one would play me.

Monopoly, on the other hand, is heavily luck dependent. At the start of the game, you need to buy up properties to win. Landing on properties is just a matter of getting good dice rolls. If you don't get the deeds, you are dead. Sure there's some strategy, but it's pretty basic. As long as you aren't a moron and don't pass up valuable properties, run totally out of money or make dumb trades, monopoly is basically just craps with street names.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Much more skill in stratego than monopoly

Pretty obvious you've wrapped up the Useless Post of the Day award . . . and probably Useless Post of the Week.

Useless Post of the Month? Probably. Going to be tough to top, but we've got a pretty creative bunch here.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:02 PM

Oh yeah? Well I bet I could capture your flag!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:58 PM

When I played as a kid with my brother sometimes I'd get bored and put my flag right behind one of the lakes surrounded by high ranking pieces. He'd march right past them and waste himself on my bomb fields protecting nothing. He'd eventually catch on, but it was a good set up for future games. That was a good time, oh yeah. Second poster is right, this is a useless post, lol.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Okay, but too anyone who wants to try that no bombs thing I say this:

Your flag is mine, bitches.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
monopoly is basically just craps with street names.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Monopoly had no skill involved, they probably wouldn't pay $15k for a World Championship

I've never heard of a "World Championship of Craps" event with a $15,000 grand prize, personally.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:48 PM

I'm not sure the if craps involved skill, people would play it for money angle is the best one to use here.

People play craps for big money all the time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 08:26 PM

There's more elements than luck in monopoly than you might think in order to win. If you're an excellent negotiator, you WILL win more than you lose in the long run. If you read Rich Dad Poor Dad, Robert Kiyosaki mentions that he has learned skills in monopoly that he applies in his real estate business.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure the if craps involved skill, people would play it for money angle is the best one to use here.

People play craps for big money all the time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't generally put up big money tournaments and people don't generally go to play in big money tournaments in games that are entirely luck. (of course, maybe I'm wrong, but if I am, the burden of proof is on you to point me to the signup page for the World Series of Roulette, now, isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

But I don't know why I'm typing this, since any person intelligent enough to use a computer could understand my post upon reading it, so I can only conclude that you're just being a smartass.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Honestly I think there is skill in monopoly because it's one of my favorite board games and I win much more than I should (which proves it probably got some strategy (or I just got lucky a bunch of times [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])). I think the key is knowing when to buy houses and condos, where to put them, what to trade properties for, when to trade properties, when to mortage properties, etc...

P.S. This is not a joke I have seriously played monopoly hundreds of times (atleast) in my life, and win more than I mathematically should, but I have also always tried to learn the skill/strategy involved and try to push that edge/advantage/overlay as much as I could.