Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Bots -- recent news on MSNBC Cable

[ QUOTE ]
No one feared mp3s... then Napster came along...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this statement... not because it's a horrible analogy, but the fact that the world still thinks Napster started the whole mp3 stuff.

Napster is just a pawn in the mp3 game. It was a program for people to get mp3's who didn't know how to. People thought shutting down Napster would stop mp3's but Napster didn't run a damn thing.

The groups who release mp3's (off the top of my head - rns, wcr, whoa, qmb, 0mni, mob, rfl, fua, esl, mad, smo, ftd, c4, apc, chr, plus there's a ton more), NONE have EVER released anything on Napster, Kazaa, WinMX, etc.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:45 PM

Apparetly you dont read the entire threads, only the stuff you want. I am a graduate student in computer science and know plenty about the history of the MP3. Did you miss this statement in that thread?:

[ QUOTE ]
MP3 technology began a way to compress music files to share them more efficiently. Usually accomplished by more technical routes such as FTP, Usenet and IRC. They were hard to find, often crappy and the RIA didn't take much notice. Napster came along and the average Grandmother had not problem downloading her favorite big band tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-22-2004, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a graduate student in computer science and know plenty about the history of the MP3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bow down before you. Everybody.. quick.. listen up! The graduate student is informing us!

Your nitpicking is pointless. If it wasn't Napster, it would have just been something else. If it wasn't one source, it would have been many.
My point is that your entire point is pointless, regardless of how "true" it is.

(And yes, I know you weren't replying to me)
Old 12-22-2004, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get it- I should run to the friggin hills to avoid playing online poker in the future. The sky is falling and robots are coming to take all of my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is not my point and never has been. Depending on how good of a player you are will really determine the extent bots impact you.

What you should be concerned about is, what is being done to protect the online games from bots because no matter how good you are, they will bring down your bottom line?

Your attitude about bots send a clear message to the poker sites that the players don't worry about bots, so why should they? After all, it makes no differrent to IGlobal whether its 10 bot owners or human players paying the rake.

Whats the point of poker sites in spending big $$$ on compating AI in the industry if the players don't percieve of it as a huge threat?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your attitude about bots send a clear message to the poker sites that the players don't worry about bots, so why should they?

[/ QUOTE ]

My attitude? Tell me.. what is my attitude? In case you missed it, I agree that measures should be taken. The point is, there is not much you or I can do about it.

This ends my participation in this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparetly you dont read the entire threads, only the stuff you want. I am a graduate student in computer science and know plenty about the history of the MP3. Did you miss this statement in that thread?:

[ QUOTE ]
MP3 technology began a way to compress music files to share them more efficiently. Usually accomplished by more technical routes such as FTP, Usenet and IRC. They were hard to find, often crappy and the RIA didn't take much notice. Napster came along and the average Grandmother had not problem downloading her favorite big band tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I didn't read the whole thread. If I would have read this part though I would have said you were wrong on it.

Mp3's were never hard to find, you just had to know where to find them. The quality of mp3's weren't crappy either. For the technology of back then, 64 kbps rips sounded great.

Since technology of sound cards and computer speakers have been extremely developed over just the last 5 years though and the size of hdd's, 64kbps rips just aren't acceptable anymore. At one time though, they were butter and weren't crappy.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a graduate student in computer science and know plenty about the history of the MP3.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually works against you since you are unable to put together coherent logic, despite knowing the terminology. The development of MPEG Layer-3 had nothing to do with music, and certainly was not to streamline existing filesharing. Are you retarded? MP3 was developed in the late 80's as a compliment to MP1 which was video. It was not until much later that it was adopted as a way to facilitate piracy. Either way, mass distribution of even a winning algorithm would eventually negate itself, unlike mass mp3 distribution, which would flourish and does.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:58 PM

I was born in 1974 but I have been using a computer since 1981, have a degree as a programmer, have a degree in E-Commerce/Web Administration, and have 10 years on the job experience in IT. I consider myself to know a lot about computers.

Does that mean I'm retarded since computers have been around since the 50's but I wasn't alive back then yet still claim to know a lot about computers?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:34 PM

His main point regarded the notion that the Win32 interface to a PP window was difficult to control. He was correct to rebut it; it's simple, to say nothing of being far simpler than actually writing the AI.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:25 AM

I think the more common a particular bot platform is, the less likely it is to be successful. The winning bots that are currently playing poker were programmed at home to play ABC poker at relatively low limits. As it has been stated many times before, if you think there's no bots playing poker, then you are a moron. It's obvious that party is SERIUOSLY cracking down on WH, because it is the most popular mainstream bot program out there. Apparently most of its users have any clue at all how to play poker, so it has not been terribly harmful so far. There is no doubt in my mind that a winning poker player has been able to program WH to play winning poker. IMO, WH is not a bot program, but an automatic interface to party. If a company was selling a complete winning poker bot, they could sell it for a helluva lot more money than $100. However, someone programming a winning poker bot can make more off using it than they can off selling it and revealing all their secrets, IMO. I feel like i've repeated the same thing several times in this post. I don't care enough to reread it, because at this point we're beating a dead horse about the bot issue. The bots are among us!

Freakin

*EDIT* d00d! I sound like a moron!