Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Getting frustrated with the money I make

50k per year working 23hrs a week, 42 weeks a year is really miserable isn't it. I'm not saying it's great, but it's far from miserable.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Post deleted by Cola

Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 AM

That's not the point, you basically said $22s wouldn't provide much of an income. While 50k is worthless to you, I think it's pretty silly for you to suggest it is for everyone else.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:47 AM

Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM

Yes, a lot depends on where you live. The assumption in this thread is that the person lives in an expensive state/city, or even the US. Here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, a rather beautiful city to live in (IMHO), U$50,000/year would have you living at a very decent standard.

Albert
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM

No, it's more to do with how old you are and what kind of financial responsiblities you have. Most people on this board are young and would live very well on 50k here (for their age), and I live in a city that's more expensive than any american city apart from NYC.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM

Old 12-28-2005, 02:27 PM

Hi, wanted to clear up that I live in the UK. I 6 table and don't use pokertracker or any other software. I'd prefer to grind out a living at online poker than work in the factory that I used to work in. But I have ambition, that's why I read and post on 2+2. Cheers.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's more to do with how old you are and what kind of financial responsiblities you have. Most people on this board are young and would live very well on 50k here (for their age), and I live in a city that's more expensive than any american city apart from NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree. It's not that I doubt the cost of living where you are located, but if you can get the very same income independently of where you live, then it seems to make sense to choose a less expensive place, no?

Take a look briefly at this article. It provides a few figures on the US rental market. Let's suppose I am earning an average $20 an hour no matter where I live. It would seem kind of absurd, provided I had a choice, to select one of the listed 'most expensive' rental markets.

So yes, if you live in L.A. and living there is the most important thing to you, and 50K isn't cutting it, you'll have to find an alternative income. If on the other hand, your current source of income is more important (you like your job better) and L.A. is not the biggest deal, find a more feasible place to live.

Albert
Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess we must live very different lives. I wouldnt get out of bed for $50k a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second post I read in a week has this s*** in it? Careful throwing stones like that in that glass house of yours.

To the OP: The great thing about a "real" job is absolutely zero variance. You get your check no matter what as long as you still have the job. There are plenty of part-time jobs that should cover your most basic expenses and leave you with enough time to play. I had a writer living in my basement for a while who worked in a chocolate shop part-time to pay the rent and then wrote the rest of the time. If you did the same thing with poker, you'd find yourself faced with the choice of going out tonight or playing poker for bankroll money, not going out tonight or playing poker for rent money. Once you see how much more you can make at the higher levels, it will seem totally worth it to sacrifice a few recreational nights for future implied fun, so your motivation will go up. More fun all around. Point being, get a crappy job to cover rent while you build a bankroll for the higher levels.