Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Syriana

I know this is not OOT. If Andyfox can post about "The Constant Gardener" here, then I'm going to post about this film.

I saw this movie on Saturday evening and in spite of arriving at the theatre one hour before the movie started, actually late for the earlier showing, I wound up having to give up my seat so a couple could sit next to me because the theatre was so packed. No one clapped in the end. They just stood up and left.

That pretty much summed up my feelings, too. I didn't quite know what to make of it and am still chewing on it. I'm not sure about the point that the filmmakers wished to get across. As a movie purely meant for entertainment purposes, it was a thriller with a sort of unconventional ending. As political commentary, it sucked. So the oil business is about a bunch of corrupt people being corrupt? So is politics? I'm shocked and awed. You mean leaders of countries in this world sell out their own people so they can have the strongest ally and keep their own power? Wow. I didn't know people had it in them.

I submit to the forum that if these are problems with the world, there are those in the world who should stop just pointing them out and start suggesting ways to fix them. Better yet, work on fixing them.

On a more serious note, I did get the feeling that the worlds resources are being squandered and that in 100 years I am going to be a genetically modified disease and aging immune man with a car sitting in my drive way with an empty tank. I can imagine thinking to myself "Damn, I remember when I wanted to live forever. Being out of oil sure does suck."

X