Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2003, 03:47 PM

Default Flop sets - Slowplay or bet away?

This topic has probably been discussed here before, but me and my friend were arguing whether or not it's better to slowplay sets on the flop. We both agree if there's a flush or straight draw, then you should bet and raise away. The adage of "if you lose with a set and haven't lost a lot, you played it wrong" has always been told. I just wanted to see what you guys had to say. Some questions to discuss....

Would you slowplay uncoordinated rainbow flops? Does it matter if it's top or bottom set? The number of people matter obviously, but how? If you have bottom or medium set, when are you convinced the other guy has higher set, if ever?
Old 03-07-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Flop sets - Slowplay or bet away?

Punk,

I will usually bet away. Even with a board that a free card can't hurt you, I do not like to slow play.

I think like anything else...it depends on the lineup.

Best Wishes
Old 03-07-2003, 04:27 PM

Fast! Even with a safe board I like to play 'em fast. Then again it can be player/game flow depedent but my default play is fast. In the games I play though they rarely give you credit for top pair let alone a set and you can often drive them all the way to the river with callers in tow so why slow down?
Old 03-07-2003, 04:41 PM

I'm usually the same way....i usually play 4-8 or even 7.50-15 (The Tropicana in AC), and I would bet and raise at any moment. The last time I was there, I was in early position with AA and raised. 2 from the CO, who is a good player, re-raises me. SB caps, and we all call. The flop comes out A-9-3 rainbow. I bet, he raises, I reraise, he 4-bets, and I 5-bet it. He calls the 5th bet. The SB folded when it was a raise.
2 from CO then just calls my bets to the river.

I was thinking that if I didn't 5 bet, perhaps he would've raised me on the turn or the river. (He had AK and mumbled something about how he thought he was going to chop)

I know only calling the 4th bet isn't exactly slowplaying, but if he's willing to go 5 bets on the flop, I thought there would be some more action on the turn/river.

Perhaps if I had position on him, I might've slowed down a bit on the flop to see what he did on the turn. At the moment, I was just excited that this guy was paying me off when I have top set.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:01 PM

Default See this thread

Read this post
Old 03-07-2003, 05:08 PM

Sounds like you were screaming "SET OF ACES!" loud enough, and he finally listened. In hindsight you should have backed off some, but it's hard to remember this in the heat of battle. Next time...