Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: MILF and CHUMP Players - Bottomset

when it comes to swiss draws, its basically double elimination .. where you don't force them to stop playing .. since with 2losses you don't make top8, except in rare circumstances .. double elimination just worked easier

I would like increasing blinds, and the stars HU SNG are pretty good, in that the blinds don't go up too fast and you start fairly deepstacked .. but each match would cost 5.25 or more

I think its ran pretty well so far, the second round took longer than I would've liked, but much of that was my fault in i didn't work on the brackets over the weekend
Old 05-26-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe I named it wrong but it's where you would divide up into pools of like 4/5, and everyone plays everyone in their pool. then at the end the best 8 records (or 12, 16, whatever) advance, with some kind of tiebreaker like total time taken to dispatch opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be a good idea, since the variance in HU matches is pretty high
Old 05-26-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would like increasing blinds, and the stars HU SNG are pretty good, in that the blinds don't go up too fast and you start fairly deepstacked .. but each match would cost 5.25 or more

I think its ran pretty well so far, the second round took longer than I would've liked, but much of that was my fault in i didn't work on the brackets over the weekend

[/ QUOTE ]

Escalating blinds seem to be the best solution to controlling the length of the matches.

However – after hoping to several sites last night, I wasn’t able to find a .04/.08 table

I wonder if a way to have the “blinds escalate” would be to after an hour – each person takes half their stack off the table. Is this essentially doing the same thing as doubling the blinds?

BTW, i think the tourney has gone GREAT so far. I'm sure if you do it again, or pass it on to someone else, you'll get twice the turn out!

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 11:52 AM

Well, this system is effectively the same as Swiss, in that after two losses, you're essentially eliminated. However, then you'll have matches with one player still in contention and one player knocked out. These matches will to often be free wins for the player still in contention, either by forfeits or someone not all that interested in the outcome. I think either a Swiss or double elim is fine for next time. Swiss might be easier to handle with a larger number of entrants (or a number that isn't a power of 2), but this treatment of double elim has been good.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:05 PM

As the main advocator for the Swiss format, I don't think it's right for the way this tourney has to play out.

It's the best in a theoretical sense, everybody gets as much practice as they want, which is of course the reason we have this thing, to learn.

But with lack of active tables at all times, and having to correlate your schedule to an opponent a million miles away, who may or may not read your PMs until after your able to play, double elim. is best play. Like bottomset said, it's basically the same anyway.

I would still play Swiss,though, and organize the damn thing as well.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:33 PM

Umm, don't you still have to correlate your schedule with someone thousands of miles away even with our double elim system?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:30 PM

blump blump