Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 07:10 AM

Default overplayed small overpair?

dealt 88 in the MP1 stack around 200 or so

MP3 raises to 15, has around 1000 in stack, i call, HU

flop 4s 3h 5h
i check, mp3 bets 10, i call

turn comes a 6d
i check, mp3 bets 50, i push for 119 more.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 AM

Default Re: overplayed small overpair?

I think the subject of this post is a little deceiving - what is the purpose of this push? Do you think you are ahead, or is it a bluff? You're only getting called if you're beat, but it could be a bigger pair or a straight. I think you should figure out what you're trying to accomplish before you randomly throw chips int he center of the table.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM

i pushed because i thought i was ahead, the small bet on the flop was suspect of that. also, i think an overpair might be able to fold here seeing as there's a four straight on the board. plus if he does call, i have 6 outs in my mind to win.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:05 PM

<< i pushed because i thought i was ahead, the small bet on the flop was suspect of that. also, i think an overpair might be able to fold here seeing as there's a four straight on the board. plus if he does call, i have 6 outs in my mind to win. >>

ok well here's the problem with this thinking - you're pushin because you think you're ahead. that's fine... but if you're ahead, wouldn't you want a call? i just think he can't possibly call you on this board with a worse hand but i also don't think he's going to fold a much better hand. if he does turn out to have an overpair, then you now have a 6 outer. does that make it ok to have pushed, 6 outs?

i just think the better line is a check raise on the flop if you really think you're ahead... then at least you will know where you are at. now you have no idea and your stack is committed and i really don't think he is laying down a better hand with this much of his stack already committed. if you're bluffing the 7, it would be hard for him to put you on it, and 6 outs is slim to leave yourself with on a semibluff, IMO.

if people disagree, i'd love to hear thoughts.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:53 PM

This hand was misplayed on every street except preflop.

Lead out the flop. If he raises you big his pair is probably bigger.

The turn check-raise is kinda ugly as his $50 bet seems to indicate he's not folding the hand. He probably doesnt have the straight, but if he's any sort of player, he'll call with his bigger overpair.

On the turn check-call if you think you're ahead. Or if you lead the flop and he flat called, lead the turn again and see what he does.

This is a tough spot with 88 against a PFR out of position though. Very tricky. But I don't like your line.