Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: wild live plo8 hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I havent looked too much on your postflop play, but at first glance, it seems alright.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, you're ripping the OP for a pre-flop "mistake" of $0.25 and then admit to not having spent much thought on his postflop play which is the decision for his entire stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

His post flop play is completely irrelevant if he can't fold J953 preflop for any bet whatsoever. It's a terrible hand that just asks to get in all sorts of trouble. This is why you fold it preflop. So you can't get into the habit of "peeling another card"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Ribbo.

And since the OP was in the BB, he can disregard the pre-flop request I gave. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 01:21 AM

First, I don't see a problem with completing from the SB with this hand in a 4-handed game occasionally. You just have to exercise discipline postflop when marginal boards come.

The main problem with the postflop action is that the spades kill several of your potential outs. Also, having an non-spade 8 fall will only guarantee you half the pot anyway (I don't buy your claim that you know nobody has A3), and a non-spade K won't give you the nut straight. If you make the turn a 4 of clubs, then I might be more willing to go to war given that this sounds like a game where people aren't necessarily trying to play optimally... but with this board I would fold--if you count up outs you'll be able to convince yourself it's -EV.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:37 AM

Fold pre-flop, fold flop, fold turn.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:50 AM

At the risk of sounding like Sluggo fold the flop, fold the turn.

On the flop:
You are drawing to the bottom end of the str8 which is almost never a good idea in O8. Here is why, there are only 4 cards in the deck that allow you to handle heavy action. Of those 4 cards all of them put a low draw out and 3 of them put a flush draw out. This seems like a cut and dry fold.

On the turn:
You have:
1) 3 outs that make a non nut str8 w/ no low w/ no flush ([Kc] [Kd] [Kh])
2) 1 out that makes a non nut str8 w/ a flush ([Ks])
3) 6 outs for a nut str8 w/ a low w/ no flush ([8h] [8c] [8d] [6h] [6c] [6d])
4) 3 outs for the best str8 w/ a low w/ a flush ([8s] [6s], [As])
5) 4 out that make a low that don’t give you anything else ([7c] [7d] [7h] [7s])
6) 3 outs for the nut, nut ([Ah] [Ac] [Ad])

Lets convert all of these to approx scoop outs
1) 2 (because there is a chance that you are beat by a higher str8)
2) .25 (there is a good chance that you are beat)
3) 4.5 (there is a chance that someone is playing A3 or 35 to take some of your low pot)
4) 1 (chance you are beat both ways)
5) 1 (only playing for 1/2 the pot and there is a chance that you are beat for the low)
6) 3

That means you have around 12 outs +/- a few. That would mean that you need around 2.7:1 on your money to break even.

That means I would fold to the first turn bet esp. because it was a very laggy game so it is likely someone will raise behind you. When the action come back around to you I probably would call but I would be pissed at my self for the previous 2 calls.