Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:46 AM

Default First big NL 25 full hand.

I'm in the Big blind, and I get dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Four players limp, including the small blind, and I check.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5 players - $1.25

I like the flop. I check, planning to check-raise but instead it is checked around.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5 players, $1.25

Woot! I turned a boat. I check again, knowing that even if nobody bets I'm not very likely to be outdrawn. The cutoff makes a min-bet of .25, the button calls, the small blind folds, and I raise it to .75, the first pre-flop limper folds, the CO calls, and the button folds.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 players, $3.00

I lead out with a bet of $1.75, and the CO re-raises to $5. I go into the tank here, and finally re-raise to $9. After about fifteen seconds the button goes all-in for $16.20.

Hero ??
Old 08-12-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: First big NL 25 full hand.

you call the river because flush completed and there are a wide variety of hands here aside from TT, 65.

but your flop and turn play is just bad.

pot the flop, bet the turn for half pot.

I hate a flop check raise with bottom two. you have no idea whether somebody will bet behind you as the top card is only a T. more importantly betting out builds a pot instead of letting opponent know about the strength of your hand hand having them fold TP mediocre kicker, which is their likely hand.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:50 AM

Hero instacalls and takes the pot with a full house to a flush.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:51 AM

You call and collect your money; not badly done, although giving the free card could have put you in a spot where you'd have to throw it away (for example, had the club come on the turn and the betting kicked in then). Turned out nicely, though.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero instacalls and takes the pot with a full house to a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-12-2005, 02:06 AM

Thanks all for your good, and quick, advice. I'm new to NL, and was just making sure that my play on the river was OK.

I agree that my flop play wasn't very good, but I've still got a ways to go.

I redeemed my loss in that hand (that's right, he had T6) with a flopped boat about 15 hands later, and doubled up. I'm glad I decided to rebuy up to the full $25!

I think I like NL better than limit, but mabye I'm just sick of fixed limit. Time will tell.

Edit: Quitting smoking and playing NL for the first time does not go hand-in-hand, however.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:10 AM

if you are better post flop player than rest of table, you should always buy up to full.

notice hw he slowplayed top two on the flop despite it being fairly scary flop.

take this to heart and next time you find yourself with a flush draw against him, semibluff less and take the free card.punish him for his propensity to slowplaying on danger boards.