Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Default how should i play the turn?

MP3 is 35/6/.8 over 90 hands or so..

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ??
Old 09-14-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: how should i play the turn?

I think it's pretty close between c/r and c/c. I think I might just c/c, we have a non-agressive player that doesn't raise that much preflop raising us on a scary board. Maybe a little weak tight. I like a c/r better than a lead b/c a lead will slow down hands we beat.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's pretty close between c/r and c/c. I think I might just c/c, we have a non-agressive player that doesn't raise that much preflop raising us on a scary board. Maybe a little weak tight. I like a c/r better than a lead b/c a lead will slow down hands we beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

C/C the turn is just giving money away. I would have three bet the turn and lead out, getting fancy is a waste here. Now that you got the turn, your decision is between check raise (a bet is almost guarenteed) or lead hoping to get raised. I would lead - 3 bet the turn, but I think alot of the time AK or AA just calls the turn lead, thus putting the action in on the flop is better.

I think you get the same amount of turn action if you cap the flop then if you just go two bets. So cap the flop.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:46 PM

I just 3-bet the flop and lead the turn. He's too passive for me to want to try and get fancy with c/r's. Rememer, a low AF also indicates he folds less, so I wouldn't be too worried about running him off an AK or AA.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just 3-bet the flop and lead the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

As the flop was played I check/raise the turn.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:48 PM

Cap the flop, bet the turn.
bc
Old 09-14-2005, 03:50 PM

With QJo I don't know if I'm calling this raise with so many limpers preflop; However after the fllop I'm capping this one and leading the turn.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With QJo I don't know if I'm calling this raise with so many limpers preflop; However after the fllop I'm capping this one and leading the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop is a pretty clear fold first time around IMO...
Old 09-14-2005, 04:17 PM

As is, you have to c/r the turn, but I don't like the rest of the hand.

I'd fold pre-flop. There's one limper and you're in MP2, not the greatest situation to be playing QJo. If you're CO or Button and no one else has come in, you could raise this, but I don't want to do that with this from MP2. And I don't want to limp with a not-that-strong hand that has very little speculative value.

On the flop, you gotta 3-bet. With those stats on him, just push it. Then lead the turn (whether he capped the flop or not) and go into call down mode if he's still nutso. Otherwise lead the river too.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just 3-bet the flop and lead the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

As the flop was played I check/raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the best plan here. Waiting to check-raise the turn here is not a good idea because if villain is raising a draw or even a K they may check the turn behind. Three-betting and just pushing the whole way is maybe the best way to keep the love flowin'.

The only other option I see would be calling the flop and leading the turn. Sfer and others have mentioned this as a good way to ensure action with a big hand. That might be slightly more likely to get villain to play along, as three-betting and leading may encourage a fold. I think you have to be pretty confident that villain will often call a donk-bet but fold the turn if you three-bet the flop in order to take that line and forgo the extra small bet.

Anyone advocating check-calling the turn is talking crazy talk. We need to give it more gas somewhere...