Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Like open raising 4xBB in HU SNGs

I have found I get better results open raising 4xBB from the SB/button than raising 2-3xBB. I generally raise 4xBB half the time, and a mix of 3xBB, 2xBB, limping, and folding the rest. I find the 4xBB puts pressure on my opponent and makes good use of preflop initiative and postflop position. I can make a smaller raise for various reasons or just to mix things up, and it is hard for my opponents to know if I am doing it because I want action or have a marginal hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Like open raising 4xBB in HU SNGs

Not trying to be a dick, but what's the point of this post?

What format/site do you play? Usually HU it's push/fold- raising 4xBB is pointless.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What format/site do you play? Usually HU it's push/fold- raising 4xBB is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not talking about heads up in full table sng's... he's talking about HU sng's. You can't so much push-bot these.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not talking about heads up in full table sng's... he's talking about HU sng's. You can't so much push-bot these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, missed the "SNGs" after HU.

In HU, you definately need to be more aggressive and vary your play. You shouldn't be raising 3xBB every single time you have a good hand. GL
Old 11-16-2005, 09:49 PM

i raise about 85% of the hands to 2.5-3x from the button. i like to put unlimited pressure on the opponent and make them gamble for their stack. 4x the bb.. might be a bit much. holla
Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 PM

i can't see what a 4BB raise accomplishes that isn't accomplished just as well as a 2.5BB raise... except putting more money in the pot with marginal hands (if you're open-raising there as much as you should be).
Old 11-17-2005, 01:25 AM

This is obvious, but if the opponent folds too often to the continuation bet, then raising 4BB will gain more than raising 2.5 to 3BB.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i raise about 85% of the hands to 2.5-3x from the button. i like to put unlimited pressure on the opponent and make them gamble for their stack. 4x the bb.. might be a bit much. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you want to open for 4 x bb in a stars sng past level 1 your gonna need to open a litle less then 85% of your button hands. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 06:48 AM

I get better results by mixing the amount of raises or calling with good hands so as to keep my opponent guessing. My standart raise from the SB is 2.5 though, on the SB you will have position so don't usually mind the flop.

On the BB I will raise 3BB more so as to not give easy odds to my opponent and to try and shorten the play OOP
Old 11-17-2005, 09:46 AM

... and when they shove all in over top what do you do? Always call? It's not like you can fold giving the blind pressure. Why not just get all in and put max pressure on. Please explain. Thanks