Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Castillo needs to drop 2 lbs in 2 hours to make weight

I hadn't put my bets in yet for the fight and now Pinny does not have any bets for this fight as of right now. You think they will re-post before fight time??
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 PM

I don't understand how this can happen. Granted, I'm no boxing expert but somebody should lose their job over this. Do they not have a scale in Castillo's camp?? Insane...

From ESPN:

LAS VEGAS -- Former two-time lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo three times failed to make the 135-pound weight limit Friday, rendering his much anticipated rematch with champion Diego Corrales a non-title bout.

The fight will still go on Saturday night (Showtime PPV, 9 ET) at the Thomas & Mack Center but it will be a 12-round non-title fight. If Corrales loses, he retains his unified titles.

Castillo, who was drawn and appeared drained, weighed 137 pounds on his first try. Given two hours to make weight, he returned to the scale outside at Caesars Palace an hour later and weighed 138˝pounds. He was the same weight on his third attempt.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Just read they are fighting at 147 and having a weight at 3pm on Sat. If any fighter is over it will cost them $75,000 PER POUND.

I don't really see this effecting the fight. These guys were going to weigh close to 145-147 once they entered the ring, so nothing really changes. i guess no belts are on the line, but the fight is still going 12 rounds.

The thing that really bothered me was the fact just came out that Castillo fired his trainer 2 weeks ago and the new trainer didn't regulate his weight very well. How comprible can this trainer be if he can't keep his fighter's weight within the desinated wt class. Also I read some reports Castillo looked tired, probably from trying to cut weight, but you never know.

On a side note, I have taken multiple college physilogy courses, and when the body senses it is in trouble, it will actually begin to start storing water and fat instead of expending it from the body. And to lose it so quickly is what caused this reaction in Castillo. This is the reason Castillo's weight increased on his 2nd attempt.

tuds
Old 10-08-2005, 12:15 AM

Uh... how would his weight increase??? He would have had to drink some water or eat instead of cutting weight. Unless there is some other magical way of gaining weight that I don't know about.

I don't know much about boxing but will the belts not being on the line change how the fight goes? I thought of this on the premise that having the belts gets you big money fights, which I assume is correct. So my question is, what are they fighting for now?
Old 10-08-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 lbs is easy. Was a wrestler in H.S. and did it all the time. The body is mostly water and if he shaves off that beard it'll be easy.
Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

not so easy eh?
Old 10-08-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is, what are they fighting for now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Money.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 AM

I am an exercise science major at a Big Ten 10 university. I know how the body works and functions and when the body senses trouble within, it begins to panic and starts to store water, nutirents,and fat. The body is always producing waste and other products so that is how eh could have put on a pound. The human body works in mysterious ways.
Belts being on the line or not, with not change how this fight is fought

Tuds
Old 10-08-2005, 08:32 PM

Over 8.5 @ (-168)

Still good?
Old 10-08-2005, 08:54 PM

Not a horrible bet. I just think that it is a lock to go 10 rounds. Take the 9.5.

Indy
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Over 9.5 is getting bet down, now -123 at pinnacle.