Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you
Check 8 34.78%
Bet <66% of pot 11 47.83%
Bet >66% of pot 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Open Raise (Definitive Poll)

Is being suited really worth enough at 6max to make up for a weaker broadway (most raising QTs but folding KTo)?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Folding pairs shorthanded

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you fold a pair like 44 shorthanded UTG instead of limping. Is it really -EV to limp call a raise to flop a set?

[/ QUOTE ]
Right- in first position, you have no information about the other players hands. Your EV in pots where you don't flop is a set is going to be pretty small as most of the action you'll give will be in only marginally +EV situations and most of the time you'll just be folding. You just don't flop a set enough to compensate for the expected pot odds you'll be getting after everyone has acted preflop. It could be correct however if you knew the players behind you limped too many and raised too few hands preflop because then you'll be getting better expected odds from the pot.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM

I answered "Raise" to ATs and 77, and "fold" to the rest.

I just looked at my PT stats - I have a 10% VPIP UTG, and 13% in the HJ. Wow. Somehow I still manage to be a 24%/18%?

Surf
Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I answered "Raise" to ATs and 77, and "fold" to the rest.

I just looked at my PT stats - I have a 10% VPIP UTG, and 13% in the HJ. Wow. Somehow I still manage to be a 24%/18%?

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? The ATs was a typo. It was suppose to be ATo. (Which should be an autoraise). Play some more hands.

Krishan
Old 11-17-2005, 03:55 PM

Hey Krishan,

Any chance you could construct a similar poll (but with different hands) with regard to hj position? I think it would be interesting to see how much people are loosening up.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? The ATs was a typo. It was suppose to be ATo. (Which should be an autoraise). Play some more hands.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I tightened up in EP when I first moved up to 10/20 because I was having trouble dealing with being 3bet all over the place etc. I guess the rest of my game adjusted but that didn't...I'm kind of curious if i'm going to end up being closer to 30/20 than I thought when I finish adjusting that.

Surf
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is being suited really worth enough at 6max to make up for a weaker broadway (most raising QTs but folding KTo)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. BOTH QJo and KTo are getting folded, but QTs is getting raised? Somebody's falling in love with sooted cards.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:01 PM

I only fold T9s, 44 and 72o.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:02 PM

I would say yes, QTs is better than KTo UTG. People expect strength from UTG so with your QT, even if you miss you can win by representing an A or a K if they come on the flop. Also, since you are UTG you don't know whether everyone is going to fold or if they are all going to call. If you get coldcalled a bunch and this hand ends up being 4 or 5 way on the flop, QTs is going to be in much better shape than KTo of taking down the pot. And if you get coldcalled or reraised by someone behind you, QT is going to be dominated slightly less often than KT.

Openraising from the CO or button, KTo &gt;&gt; QTs.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. BOTH QJo and KTo are getting folded, but QTs is getting raised? Somebody's falling in love with sooted cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that being suited gets you to the river more often, and getting to the river gets you pots.

But don't ask me. I clicked "raise" for KTo (which I often do raise) and "fold" for A9o (which I usually do fold). I think I might need to work on my game; but perhaps this is actually okay. I can't decide.

Guy.