Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Bringing back Mixed Games etc. to the WSOP

From an article on ESPN.com, an interview with Jeffery Pollack, the Vice President of sports and entertainment.

[ QUOTE ]
Players who have seen the 2006 World Series of Poker schedule of events are derisively calling it the World Series of Hold'em. The loudest complaint is that there is not even one mixed-game tournament - not so much as a S.H.O.E event among the 40-something offerings.

Seems to me, if you want to respect the soul of the game, you should include at least one mixed game event that measures all-around play far better than the lottery that the main event has become.

"That is something that I've heard and that is something that I'm going to take a look at,'' Pollack says. "I think that one of our tactics in bringing life to these broad strokes is making sure that the World Series of Poker event and competitive experience is as good as it can be, and I think that means a couple of things.

One, we may want to create a higher buy-in tier of play for the players that have an appetite for that, and I think we want to make sure that the schedule of events that constitutes the 45-55 days is the right mix. I don't know enough yet whether or not it is, but it is something that I'm looking at. It is something that we are going to consider making some adjustments to, and I'm going to continue soliciting input from the poker experts and the poker players on how to change that mix.''

So, could there be a mixed-games event as soon as 2006?

"I don't want to tip my hand too prematurely, but you may well see an addition or modification to the '06 schedule,'' Pollack says.

[/ QUOTE ]