Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Should I play 5/10 at the Taj?

I must be playing a different 5/10 then most of you guys, because in my opinion, the play at 1/2 Party is significantly better than the taj's 5/10 game, or the 6/12 at the Borgata, etc.... If you have the bankroll, and can deal with the swings (that part I agree with), then by all means play.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must be playing a different 5/10 then most of you guys, because in my opinion, the play at 1/2 Party is significantly better than the taj's 5/10 game, or the 6/12 at the Borgata, etc.... If you have the bankroll, and can deal with the swings (that part I agree with), then by all means play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Taj 5/10 and Borg 6/12 have "worse" players than Party 1/2. I have found a lot more tough tables (relatively speaking) at 1/2 than at 6/12.

IMO, those live limits are just high enough to keep MOST maniacs and drunk donks at bay and make players a bit less aggressive. And they are just low enough to keep most "good" players away (at 10/20 and higher).

Translation, they are usually very passive and vary from loose (more 6/12) to tightish (5/10). If you can beat 1/2 and have the bankroll, you will be more than comfy and cozy at 5/10 and 6/12.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 PM

If you play tight agressive at the Taj 5/10 or Borgata 6/12 there is no real way to lose more than a couple hundred unless you are on one of those nights where NOTHING hits...
otherwise the hands that you make the bad players pay are going to be able to more than offset your missed hands...

Do it - just think about if you like action (go to taj) or a nice sanitary enviornment (play borgata) before you decide

have fun
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

You must remember that live play is a totally different mindset than internet play. On the net, you can change games instantly. Live, you really need to pay attention to your game, scout other games inbetween hands, etc. Live play IS fishier than internet ON AVERAGE FOR ANY GIVEN LIMIT, but you still MUST be selective. Because I live in vegas, I can afford to be picky with my live game selection, AND I can afford to NOT play on the internet. For someone taking a trip to a live poker center (who is not usually near one), they need emphasis on things like how important it is to continually scout games. Keep in mind that online you quickly scout the games using a few silly statistics. In live action rooms you can really SCOUT the games, watch the action, see what gets shown down, how big the pots are, look for the SUPER-FISH, etc etc.

There is MUCH more information available to the live game player, but they can't expect to just click on a stat and have the best tables delivered to them.

al
Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 AM

If you have the br, sure, why not? I have limited experience at the Taj (3/6), and I've run into some regulars who will play anything from 2/4 to 10/20. Most were pretty loose.

I've also noticed, in my limited experience, that there are a lot of older players at the Taj, who are slightly loose and generally passive postflop. My guess is they are probably break-even or mildly losing players. When they raise they've got something, and they don't seem to like playing with maniacs. I have not seen a lot of these players at the Trop or Borgata.

If you take a shot, let us know how you do and your impressions. I'm probably going to take a shot at 5/10 (or 4/8 at the Trop) next time I head to AC. Unfortunately that won't be for another month.

I would definitely be flexible and be prepared to change tables or games if it's too tight or if you get uncomfortable.

gl
Old 12-20-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played 10k hands on party 1/2. I am averaging 1.5BB/100
Im no stranger to live game either. Will I hold my own at Taj 5/10?

[/ QUOTE ]

10k hands is a small sample size, but the average 5/10 taj player has the poker IQ of a small bowling ball. If you play a good game, avoid tilt, and pick the soft games, you will beat this game very easily in the long run.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've played 10k hands on party 1/2. I am averaging 1.5BB/100
Im no stranger to live game either. Will I hold my own at Taj 5/10?

[/ QUOTE ]

10k hands is a small sample size, but the average 5/10 taj player has the poker IQ of a small bowling ball. If you play a good game, avoid tilt, and pick the soft games, you will beat this game very easily in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed in full. Notice the emphasis added, however. I don't get the sense OP is planning on plunking his ass down and playing 350K hands to reach this "long run" you speak of.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM

You CAN hit 50 bb loss in night at 5-10. There are nights where all your good strong getting odds to play draws never come in, or worse, hit while someone just got a bigger and more unlikely hand. Your great hands don't hold up, etc.etc.

Is this a big loss for this limit, yes. Hopefully it wont' hit you your first sit down, probably won't, but it CAN. You must have prepared yourself for the possibility.

Listen to AL. I have been in a room ( I mostly play 5-10, some 10-20) where only 2 tables were going. Took first seat available. Sat through an hour of 2 or 3 on flop, asked for first shot at other table, moved and posted and walked into 5-8 seeing every flop. Of course, I had checked it out soon as I was seated at first table, no surprise. Just telling you that even in a 2 table situation it is waaay worth it, let alone more tables.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:02 PM

Guys, thanks a bunch for your input!

Im leaving tomorrow morning.

For those worrying me about bankroll, I am prepared to drop $500+ in a good game.

So let's see if I got this right:
- game selection
- play most on evenings and weekends.
- lay down to old regulars when they CR the turn.

I'll play the following games and provide report: 5/10 Taj, 4/8 Trop, 7.5/15 Trop, 6/12 Borg, and some $300NL at Borg. No promises on taking shots at 10/20. I'll be representing 2+2ers with pride.

Stay tuned. I'll most likely post report some time on Sat. PM me if I forget.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, thanks a bunch for your input!

Im leaving tomorrow morning.

For those worrying me about bankroll, I am prepared to drop $500+ in a good game.

So let's see if I got this right:
- game selection
- play most on evenings and weekends.
- lay down to old regulars when they CR the turn.

I'll play the following games and provide report: 5/10 Taj, 4/8 Trop, 7.5/15 Trop, 6/12 Borg, and some $300NL at Borg. No promises on taking shots at 10/20. I'll be representing 2+2ers with pride.

Stay tuned. I'll most likely post report some time on Sat. PM me if I forget.

Happy Holidays!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck man. I would NEVER have had the balls to play 5/10, 6/12, or 7.5/15 when I was down in the trenches at 1/2. Enjoy playing live, and really do pay attention to game selection. They make it hard to change in the B&M world, but if you ride the floor hard enough its never a problem.