Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: River

[ QUOTE ]
He has an overpair but not likely an ace.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]
Are we throwing out 55-88 because risking the free card on the turn would be bad with those holdings, but less so with 99-KK?

I don't get how you can put him on an overpair specifically.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM

3 bet the turn and free showdown. If you 3 bet the turn you will most likely make him fold AK/AQ etc. I would probably check/raise you here too with that type of holding on that type of board. 3 betting put a lot of pressure on him. If he calls, you check behind... (I think) If he donks the river you have an easy fold imo.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He has an overpair but not likely an ace.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]
Are we throwing out 55-88 because risking the free card on the turn would be bad with those holdings, but less so with 99-KK?

I don't get how you can put him on an overpair specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorta, yeah. It's also because I only have ever seen this line with a strong hand. Overpair or set.

Krishan
Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 bet the turn and free showdown. If you 3 bet the turn you will most likely make him fold AK/AQ etc. I would probably check/raise you here too with that type of holding on that type of board. 3 betting put a lot of pressure on him. If he calls, you check behind... (I think) If he donks the river you have an easy fold imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind this from a theoretical perspective. In practice I think you are hammered here and it's just a waste of a bet.

Krishan
Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: I KNOW I\'m getting checkraised...

i would check/call but i suck. i hate giving a free draw, but if its coming you save the BB anyway. plus you may get a bet out of AK/AQ you may not have before. this is before you know the Ace comes on the river however. i would still call, though. a good blind defender, especially at 6max would have a wide 3 bet range right? could he have KQs, KJs, or a lower pp pair. if he checks do i check behind again? with no A on the river i may value bet. with the A i check behind. but i do suck.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:40 AM

I bet and call down a checkraise. Whatever he has he's played it very strangely (and badly) so I want to see it. No river card will make me fold.

Also I think you seriously overestimate how often he checkraises based on the results. Him checking this turn with any kind of made hand is awful--he should know you always check behind A-high with your straight outs. So if he's truly a good player I expect this to be either a weird get-to-showdown plan or a multitabling error or even something completely random at least as often as a checkraise attempt. Even more likely still is that he's simply not a very good player.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:44 AM

It's headsup, blind war. I find player raising turn very light. 88 is a monster hand on this board when it's a blind war... You are going to put 3 bet in no matter what, so why not on the turn when you have the best of it ?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:49 AM

I don't like 3-betting turn. His play makes me think he could very well be kooky so I want a line that sees a showdown for sure.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like raising this river card regardless if he checks to you. If you are right and he is a decent 2+2 player, he should know that you would not call the c/r on the turn with Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll absolutely call the c/r with my overcard + gutshot (which is what I think he put me on). Look at it from his point of view - I capped preflop headsup, which is very plausible for an A; I then flat-called the flop, which I'd do with an Ax here; I then bet the turn when he checked, because I might have the best hand with A-high, plus I gained more outs with the gutshot so calling a c/r isn't devastating.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also I think you seriously overestimate how often he checkraises based on the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as he checked the turn, I thought I'm getting checkraised here. Would he lead the flop with overcards after I capped preflop? No, he lead out because he has a pair and now he wants to c/r me

Whether that thought process is usually right or not, I don't know; but that's the exact thought I had when I played the hand.