Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 03:30 PM

Default AJs, flop top pair + flush draw,.25/.50 NL, big pot

9 handed, villian ($96) is loose and will raise frequently.
hero ($85)is button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

preflop: villian calls .50, fold, MP calls .50, 3 fold, hero raises to $2, SB calls 1.75, villian re-raises to $5.75, hero calls 4.25, SB calls 4.25

pot ($19.75)

flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB moves all in $1.95, villian raises to $7.25, hero re-raises to $25, villian calls $17.75

total pot ($81.70)

turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

villian moves all in $67, hero has $55 left. call?

i am figuring this to be an immediate call, I would like some feedback, thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: AJs, flop top pair + flush draw,.25/.50 NL, big pot

Villian limp re-raised. Has he done this before? Against a sane opponent this is a muck with any non pocket pair.

I would also not have raised two limpers with AJs. I would have snuck into the pot cheap with a limp.

The turn is an instant call given your stack size in relation to the pot and the flop was played fine given the preflop action.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Villain seems to be representing a monster with the LRR PF. Being loose, he could have any pockets who knows.

His flop raise was weak. Is he trying to take you off your hand or get value for a monster? With the now protected main pot, his raise is really confusing and I have to believe it's for value as opposed to put you off your hand.

When he called your raise to $25 on the flop, you have to figure TPTK isn't scaring him so I think you're toast. That's noting that you did not say "loose, bad", just "loose" about him. You obviously cannot get him to fold out now, so its all reads. I think you're dead to an overpair or a set.

You've only got $50 left into a $130 pot... this is not an instacall, but the pot odds aren't bad. I think you're beat, but I'm not sure i'm 2.6666 : 1 sure and you do have outs.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:43 PM

Raise more preflop or limp, get out of the middle like this. 2 limpers, $0.50BB, raise to $3. Limp/reraise preflop full table is often a monster hand like AA/KK. I'd keep that in mind on the flop and just call him. You're an underdog to AA and about even against KK.

As played with your flop raise, you look like your willing to invest your stack in this hand and you have to know that that's possible on the turn. So you have to call the less than PSB on the turn.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM

the villian was an agressive player and fairly loose, and was limping with some hands OOP. People limp with anything from any position at .25/.50 NL, and if you aren't raising with premium hands on the button after a couple callers, you should really start.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also not have raised two limpers with AJs. I would have snuck into the pot cheap with a limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising your button here. I would argue that you could have raised more.

As played, I call the turn. Against most players, you will be looking at an overpair here, KK or AA and it turns into a math question. Against a maniac who reraises frequently, he has a wider range than that. You may very well be ahead here. If not, you are drawing live to 9 hearts and possibly another 3 aces.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain seems to be representing a monster with the LRR PF. Being loose, he could have any pockets who knows.

His flop raise was weak. Is he trying to take you off your hand or get value for a monster? With the now protected main pot, his raise is really confusing and I have to believe it's for value as opposed to put you off your hand.

When he called your raise to $25 on the flop, you have to figure TPTK isn't scaring him so I think you're toast. That's noting that you did not say "loose, bad", just "loose" about him. You obviously cannot get him to fold out now, so its all reads. I think you're dead to an overpair or a set.

You've only got $50 left into a $130 pot... this is not an instacall, but the pot odds aren't bad. I think you're beat, but I'm not sure i'm 2.6666 : 1 sure and you do have outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

he had successfully raised me off of a couple CBs on missed overcards earlier, and I figured he was trying to do the same here. I took into account the limp re-raise, but I figured he would have raised more on the flop with an overpair, trying to make flush draws pay.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the villian was an agressive player and fairly loose, and was limping with some hands OOP. People limp with anything from any position at .25/.50 NL, and if you aren't raising with premium hands on the button after a couple callers, you should really start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising AJs in this spot (which is not a premium hand in my mind) is only going to bloat the pot, making it difficult to play a one pair hand properly. Your opponents will be making the same post flop mistakes in smaller pots than they will in larger ones (indeed, these mistakes are highlighted due to the much smaller pot size).

In limit this is a clear raise for value but in no limit there are other more important considerations, notably pot control.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more preflop or limp, get out of the middle like this. 2 limpers, $0.50BB, raise to $3. Limp/reraise preflop full table is often a monster hand like AA/KK. I'd keep that in mind on the flop and just call him. You're an underdog to AA and about even against KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are we trying to accomplish raising 6BB as opposed to 4BB? Should i be trying to get it head up by driving out the blinds and one of the limpers, or limp behind the limpers and try to play a many handed pot in position? With early limpers, do you usually limp in position with hands like AJs, AQs, KQs and play a multiway pot?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:58 PM

Position + betting impetus > pot control, IMO.

2 limpers I agree with the raise. 3 limpers, call.