Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Pot committed with KK?

its not a bad raise, but minraising is-it gives away your hand w/o getting any money in the pot.
also, the intial raise is only 2.5x, the bb in this game is 4.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one here who doesn't really like the PFRR to $35? Why 35? I think the mistake was made PF. This just seems like a good way to get pushed off KK PF.

I'm either minraising or calling here.

Aside from that, the obvious problem here is that he got called by someone other than the original raiser. This is probably where he shat himself, as would I.

I just don't love the re-bump PF to a factor of 3.5 after it had been bumped by a factor of 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

His reraise is good and your min-raise/call is bad.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 PM

You either bet or check.

1. If you bet you are pretty much pot commited. That means if villain has a better hand you will have to double him up. There's a decent chance that villain will fold to your flop bet if he has a worse hand (pocket pair, a Queen).

2. If you check villain will most likely bet if he has a better hand and you are likely to double him up. A lot of villains will bet with a worse hand when checked to on that flop.

You are likely to double him up no matter you bet or check but you will get more money, possibly villain's whole stack if you check. Thus I would check call.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 PM

Do you follow me around? Because if so, it is very annoying.

If someone is raising 2.5BB, what do they call a re-bump to 9BB with? Not much. And what if they then minre-raise you PF?

There is no need to re-raise this much with KK.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you follow me around? Because if so, it is very annoying.

If someone is raising 2.5BB, what do they call a re-bump to 9BB with? Not much. And what if they then minre-raise you PF?

There is no need to re-raise this much with KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever heard of PSR? Ever played pot-limit hold'em?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 PM

no i don't follow you around, but we both share a message board.

Standard doctrine is that a min-raise preflop (and usually postflop) is a poor play. Please offer me a situation where it is correct and i will retract this statement.

The point of the large reraise is to just take the pot down there, or pump the pot unless an a falls. Here, and ace fell and that sucks, but it was played correctly preflop. The raise could be alittle smaller (to about 25 is where i'd like it) but, with more callers of the intial 10$, you need to raise more.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Standard doctrine is that a min-raise preflop (and usually postflop) is a poor play. Please offer me a situation where it is correct and i will retract this statement.

The point of the large reraise is to just take the pot down there, or pump the pot unless an a falls. Here, and ace fell and that sucks, but it was played correctly preflop. The raise could be alittle smaller (to about 25 is where i'd like it) but, with more callers of the intial 10$, you need to raise more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I find this "Standard Doctrine"?
I effectively minraise people all the time.

I don't understand your last sentence at all but I love how you think a a $15 re-raise is so much better than a $10 re-raise! HA!

OP re-raises $25, I say re-raise $10. You say minraises are pointless and that $15 is the correct number!?!??! WTF?

Raising to $35 sux here b/c that short stack over there can push us off our hand. In this case he called, which is exponentially WORSE for us.

Pay attention to the short-stacks!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 PM

He cold called 35 preflop, which is more than 25% of his stack. Unless villain is a tricky short stack (yeah, that tickles me, too), I'd figure him for any ace or PP. That being, he will call any bets on the flop with his ace, but a light just might go on if you push and he wakes up w JJ, TT, etc.

You can check-fold if you think he has Ax, QQ, 99 (QQ unlikely). You can check-call to pick up max value against hands you still beat.

I think you're behind more often than you're ahead here, so that's a math problem right there.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 PM

how is he going to push us off our hand unless an a flops?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Raising to $35 sux here b/c that short stack over there can push us off our hand. In this case he called, which is exponentially WORSE for us.

Pay attention to the short-stacks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Push us off our (second best) hand (in a 6max game no less). Hahahahaha.